Figuring out Javascript Errors

Shahid Juma

Hi,

In Internet Explorer, when there are Javascript Errors, it doesn't really
give you a good description. While in Netscape, you can see where the error
is. Is there any way in IE to figure out the errors in a nice format?

Thanks,
Shahid
(remove NOSPAM from the email address when replying to my email address)

Whitecrest

In Internet Explorer, when there are Javascript Errors, it doesn't really
give you a good description. While in Netscape, you can see where the error
is. Is there any way in IE to figure out the errors in a nice format?

Yes, use a mozzila browser with a IE skin.

longroad

Wouldnt really help though, would it?
The whole point is testing how the site looks in the browser, not using the
browser for the sake of how it looks (ie applying a skin to it)

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

longroad said:
Wouldnt really help though, would it?
The whole point is testing how the site looks in the browser, not using the
browser for the sake of how it looks (ie applying a skin to it)

well he can see how it *looks* in IE... if he cant understand the error
messages (which I have turned off but IIRC are something like "A
Javascript Runtime error occurred on line 23 character 74") then tough luck.

why not see what it looks like in IE but test the actual scripting in
netscape?

Steve Pugh

Weyoun the Dancing Borg said:
well he can see how it *looks* in IE...

No, he'll see how the page looks in Moz but with an IE GUI around it.
Changing the skin of a browser doesn't change the way the page is
rendered.
if he cant understand the error
messages (which I have turned off but IIRC are something like "A
Javascript Runtime error occurred on line 23 character 74") then tough luck.

why not see what it looks like in IE but test the actual scripting in
netscape?

Because IE and Moz have different JS parsers? And thus one may give an
error when the other doesn't? Finding the errors in Moz might not help
at all with finding the errors in IE.

Steve

Whitecrest

Wouldnt really help though, would it?
The whole point is testing how the site looks in the browser, not using the
browser for the sake of how it looks (ie applying a skin to it)

Actually it would help since you are testing the script eh?

Whitecrest

No, he'll see how the page looks in Moz but with an IE GUI around it.
Changing the skin of a browser doesn't change the way the page is
rendered.

His issues was not how it looked in IE, but rather the error message
displayed.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Whitecrest said:
His issues was not how it looked in IE, but rather the error message
displayed.

exactly.

and heck if he cant understand it, as I said tough luck. It's not
crystal clear but it's pretty good.

"Line 4 character 2" means 4 lines of code down, 2 characters across.
simple.

C A Upsdell

Weyoun the Dancing Borg said:
exactly.

and heck if he cant understand it, as I said tough luck. It's not
crystal clear but it's pretty good.

"Line 4 character 2" means 4 lines of code down, 2 characters across.
simple.

Not so simple. IE does not identify the file. E.g., if the page uses 6 JS
files, you have to look at line 5 of each of these files. Mozilla is better
for troubleshooting this kind of problem.

Steve Pugh

Then why on earth did you suggest he use an IE-skin for Moz? What good
is that going to do him? Or do you just like making random suggestions
for the hell of it? As I said the IE-skin doesn't change the way the
page is rendered, and that includes the JS parser. If it's the same
error cross-browsers then he's already solved it from the data that
Moz gives him, but how does he solve IE-specific errors? Not tempted
to take you out of the killfile.

Steve

Whitecrest

Not so simple. IE does not identify the file. E.g., if the page uses 6 JS
files, you have to look at line 5 of each of these files. Mozilla is better
for troubleshooting this kind of problem.

Right... Which is why you debug it in mozilla, and skin it to look like
IE if the OP must have it look like IE.... ;-}

Whitecrest

Then why on earth did you suggest he use an IE-skin for Moz?

The OP complained that the error message in IE was insufficient. I told
him to debug in Mozilla and skin it to look like IE. You are too
ignorant (or just trolling perhaps?) to follow?
What good
is that going to do him?

Are you really this stupid? The post has NOTHING to do with how the
page appears.
Not tempted
to take you out of the killfile.

By all means keep me in your kill file so I don't have to deal with your
stupidity.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

C said:
Not so simple. IE does not identify the file. E.g., if the page uses 6 JS
files, you have to look at line 5 of each of these files. Mozilla is better
for troubleshooting this kind of problem.

yes Mozilla is better. Which is why I suggested it. but apparently
that's a bad idea.

so therefore the OP is screwed.

IE does not have a better way.