File size

Lindsay

I have just started using C++ 6 after using VB6 for quite a while and I'm
loving it. Written a DLL already!

My questions are these:

I downloaded a sample project which included both ready compiled DLL and all
project files. I open the project to have a look at the code and compiled it
myself. The resulting DLL file was nearly 4 times bigger than the original I
downloaded. Why would that be?

Also, after compiling, the tooltip shown by Windows for the compiled file,
just shows file size and date. How can I add other info such as: Company
name, etc? I was always able to do this with VB6.

Victor Bazarov

Lindsay said:
I have just started using C++ 6 after using VB6 for quite a while and I'm
loving it. Written a DLL already!

My questions are these:

I downloaded a sample project which included both ready compiled DLL and all
project files. I open the project to have a look at the code and compiled it
myself. The resulting DLL file was nearly 4 times bigger than the original I
downloaded. Why would that be?

You compiled a Debug version and compare it to a Release version,
probably. Resulting file sizes are not specified by the C++ Standard,
so they are essentially OT here. Try the newsgroup for your compiler.
Also, after compiling, the tooltip shown by Windows for the compiled file,
just shows file size and date. How can I add other info such as: Company
name, etc? I was always able to do this with VB6.

This is beyond the scope of the C++ language. You need to ask about
"VERSIONINFO" resource in a VC++ NG, like microsoft.public.vc.language.

BigBrian

DLL's are not part of the C++ language. Neither are "tooltips shown by
Windows" part of the C++ language. So you may want to ask your
questions on a newsgroup where these questions are on topic.

However, with regard to the DLL size, my quess is that your compiler
flags are not the same as the flags used to compile DLL that you
download. You could have symbolic debug turned on, a different
optimization level,... Maybe you should ask the people who built the
DLL exactly how they built it.

-Brian

Lindsay

I'm quite new to C++ and didn't realise this was off-topic. However, I did
look into debug/release complitaion, and the release is much smaller than
the debug version.

Where is a better place to talk about this? VB6 was so much simpler.

Lindsay said:
I'm quite new to C++ and didn't realise this was off-topic. However, I did
look into debug/release complitaion, and the release is much smaller than
the debug version.

Where is a better place to talk about this? VB6 was so much simpler.

(a) Please don't top-post.
(b) Please try to post the same message only once (if you can help it)
(c) Please reread my previous posting, the answers are there.

Lindsay

(a) I prefer top-posters.
(b) I only posted once. (I think my ISP threw a wobbly)
(c) Thanks for your help.

Tim Slattery

Lindsay said:
I'm quite new to C++ and didn't realise this was off-topic. However, I did
look into debug/release complitaion, and the release is much smaller than
the debug version.

Where is a better place to talk about this? VB6 was so much simpler.

The microsoft.public.vc.* groups will help you out.

red floyd

Lindsay said:
(a) I prefer top-posters.

That's nice, Lindsay, but this group requests that posters not top-post.
I'd like it if this group did all my work for me, but that's not going
to happen, either.

Stephen Howe

Where is a better place to talk about this? VB6 was so much simpler.

How about the Microsoft News Server?

I don't know why people using Microsoft Technology expect general purpose
UseNet newsgroups (the overwhelming majority are NOT specific to Microsoft
Technology) to answer on Microsoft particularly when Microsoft has gone to
the effort of providing their own news server and dedicated people (MVPs) to
answer questions. There are 22 newsgroups on that news server devoted to VC
alone (not counting the non-English language VC support newsgroups) whereas
Standard C++ on USENET has only 3 newgroups.

comp.lang.c++ is devoted to standard C++ and library and does not know about
"DLLs", "compiler switches", "linker switches" or Windows-related matters.

Try subscribing to "microsoft.news.com"

You will find newsgroups that provide help on Windows Progamming, VC, VB,
SQL Server, ADO, COM, .NET, Office etc and all other Microsoft technologies

Hope that helps

Stephen Howe