filename without extension in URL query

Steven Burn

custom error pages and/or ISAPI filters.

Custom 404's
http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2162

ISAPI
http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2216
http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2232

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

| If I have a search submit button, when I click submit button, it will submit
| the form to search.asp for form processing.
| This will be the URL: http://www.mycompany.com/search.asp?q=programming
|
| But when I do search in google, search doesn't have any file extension. How
| do they do that? I saw some site are like that too.
| http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google+Search
|
| Please advise. thanks!!

Jeff Cochran

If I have a search submit button, when I click submit button, it will submit
the form to search.asp for form processing.
This will be the URL: http://www.mycompany.com/search.asp?q=programming

But when I do search in google, search doesn't have any file extension. How
do they do that? I saw some site are like that too.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google+Search

Please advise. thanks!!

First, use your fifty billion in stock sales to hire a team of
programmers to rewrite a web server to your needs... :)

Jeff

Hans Kesting

Joe said:
If I have a search submit button, when I click submit button, it will submit
the form to search.asp for form processing.
This will be the URL: http://www.mycompany.com/search.asp?q=programming

But when I do search in google, search doesn't have any file extension. How
do they do that? I saw some site are like that too.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google+Search

Please advise. thanks!!

Google doesn't run on IIS. The "search" at Google might be
an executable. If the webserver runs on Unix (any flavor)
then executables usually do not have extensions.

Joerg Jooss

Joe said:
If I have a search submit button, when I click submit button, it will
submit the form to search.asp for form processing.
This will be the url:
http://www.mycompany.com/search.asp?q=programming

But when I do search in google, search doesn't have any file
extension. How do they do that? I saw some site are like that too.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google+Search

The necessity to use (or work around) file extensions is imposed by
IIS. Java Servlets for example can easily work exclusively with paths
and path information.

Cheers,

teknohippy

Normally if you are typing an URL like this

http://www.mycomany.com

IIS will try to find a default.htm or default.aspx depending on the
settings, then if it is available it will be sent to the client,So

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google+Search

in this case search is not a filename it is a directory, so all the query
string variables are passed to the default.aspx (assume it is implemented in
asp.net) file in that directoty.
That's what I'd have thought as the most obvious way to replicate it.

Everyone else seemed to just start IIS/Microsoft bashing :)

Matt Berther

Hello Gold,

If it was truly a folder then it would be search/?hl=en... Notice the /