Firefox and cache

David Graham

Hi
Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder. I
just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere - I
would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later without the
big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem
thanks
David

meltedown

David said:
Hi
Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder. I
just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere - I
would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later without the
big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem
thanks
David
ON my computer its:
C:\Documents and Settings\ACCOUNT\Local Settings\Temp

Where ACCOUNT is the name of the XP account

Jonathan N. Little

David said:
Hi
Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder. I
just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere - I
would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later without the
big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem
thanks
David

Use 'about:cache' till show you exactly where it is on your installation
a see 'Cache Directory:' listing

Click 'List Entries' to list all bits in the cache, you can click a view
from there

Blinky the Shark

ON my computer its:
C:\Documents and Settings\ACCOUNT\Local Settings\Temp

Where ACCOUNT is the name of the XP account

Here, it has the grace to be in a directory *named* cache. :)

/home/blinky/.mozilla/firefox/wgufk8oo.default/Cache

Okay, "wgufk8oo" might be considered a little cryptic. :)

David Graham

Jonathan N. Little said:
Use 'about:cache' till show you exactly where it is on your installation
a see 'Cache Directory:' listing
Do you mean type 'about:cache' without qoutes into the search in help - did
that but it brought up no entries.
Click 'List Entries' to list all bits in the cache, you can click a view
from there
Bit lost I'm afraid!
thanks
David

Jonathan N. Little

David said:
Do you mean type 'about:cache' without qoutes into the search in help - did
that but it brought up no entries.

No, 'about:cache' without quotes in the address bar...

David Graham

Jonathan N. Little said:
No, 'about:cache' without quotes in the address bar...
That is a really good tip.
The entry in the list which is my downloaded .swf points back to the
original website:
http://www.learn111.com/videos/FLASHANIMATION/04_controller.swf?csConfigFile
=04_config.xml

File on disc is:
C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache\A707E485d01

But windows can't open this file. Why can't I find a nice simple looking
controller.swf for me to put into a html file?
thanks
David

Jonathan N. Little

David Graham wrote:
That is a really good tip.
The entry in the list which is my downloaded .swf points back to the
original website:
http://www.learn111.com/videos/FLASHANIMATION/04_controller.swf?csConfigFile
=04_config.xml

File on disc is:
C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache\A707E485d01

But windows can't open this file. Why can't I find a nice simple looking
controller.swf for me to put into a html file?

Of course the content of the file is *not* how windows identifies the
file type. I bet if you copy that file and rename it 'anything.swf' ti
will miraculously open.

kchayka

David said:
The entry in the list which is my downloaded .swf points back to the
original website:

If you are online when you click the links in the cache list, the
browser may get a fresh copy from the site.

If you switch the browser to offline mode, then click on the links in
the cache list, it will load the files from your cache. You can Save As
from there if you want.
Why can't I find a nice simple looking
controller.swf for me to put into a html file?

I do hope you weren't considering stealing the flash movie that's in
your cache. That would be rude.

Jonathan N. Little

Blinky said:
Perhaps you are also unaware of

about:config

and of being able to change your setup there.

Just that I noticed Mozilla has a parameter to specify the cache folder

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory

But Firefox doesn't. Maybe all to have to do is add the parameter and
set its value to make the change in Firefox. Maybe I have the parameter
in Mozilla because I have my profile on another drive with my data for
backup, but have the cache elsewhere do it is not backed up.

cwdjrxyz

David said:
Hi
Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder. I
just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere - I
would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later without the
big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem.

If the video is served as true streaming media from a media server,
such as is done on many big media sites and audio/video broadcasts, the
media file will not be cached at all, except for a small buffer cache
that keeps being updated as the video plays. Think of what would happen
if you had a streaming radio or video broadcast on all day on
broadband, and everything was cached. You would soon run out HD space
to store the many GB cach file.

If the media file is downloaded by "progressive download", which you
use if you do not have a special streaming media server, the whole
media file is cached, and, if coded properly, the playback then starts
and "streams" while the media file is still downloading. In this case
the media file should be in a cache somewhere after playback is
completed. One complication is that some media players can also cache
things in their own special cache. For example if you are using a
recent Real player and you write some code for it in SMIL, if you call
some media using "chtml://blah" instead of "html/blah", the media is
cached in Real's special cache. This is sometimes useful in situations
where the same media file might be soon needed again. However the
memory available for the Real player cache is much more limited than
that for the general cache used with most browsers.

Somewhat different code is used to call a streaming server stream and a
media file stored on an ordinary html server. However, many of the big
media sites that use a streaming server have so much code scattered on
many linked files, that it can take considerable time to find exactly
how they are linking to the media. And if they are using php, you may
not be able to see some of the critical code at all.

cwdjrxyz

cwdjrxyz said:
For example if you are using a
recent Real player and you write some code for it in SMIL, if you call
some media using "chtml://blah" instead of "html/blah", the media is
cached in Real's special cache.

If you use that code, nothing will play at all :). I should have used
"http://blah" and "chttp://blah".

David Graham

Of course the content of the file is *not* how windows identifies the
file type. I bet if you copy that file and rename it 'anything.swf' ti
will miraculously open.

I did that and it opened in the Flash Player but it was just a white blank
movie - I think cwdjrxyz is correct when he says the media itself does not
get cached only a small buffer is cached - the file controller.swf is only
60K! But that theory can't be correct because the Flash movie plays fine in
the browser after I have disconnected from the internet so it must now be
playing locally from my computer isn't it?

confused
David Graham

David Graham

kchayka said:
If you are online when you click the links in the cache list, the
browser may get a fresh copy from the site.

If you switch the browser to offline mode, then click on the links in
the cache list, it will load the files from your cache. You can Save As
from there if you want.

I get 'file not found' when I do that. The problem is I think this file
requests the much larger Flash movie form somewhere else!
I do hope you weren't considering stealing the flash movie that's in
your cache. That would be rude.

I only wish to avoid the long delay that occurs when you request the video
from the website

David Graham

If the video is served as true streaming media from a media server,
such as is done on many big media sites and audio/video broadcasts, the
media file will not be cached at all, except for a small buffer cache
that keeps being updated as the video plays. Think of what would happen
if you had a streaming radio or video broadcast on all day on
broadband, and everything was cached. You would soon run out HD space
to store the many GB cach file.
If the Flash movie plays when I'm not online and I may add plays much
better, no pausing when I'm offline, is that proof positive that it is
coming from my hard drive on my computer?

thanks for the help
David

David Graham

I do hope you weren't considering stealing the flash movie that's in
your cache. That would be rude.
If you go to the web site
http://www.learnflash.com/

on the left there is a passage of text:
"No need to be always connected to the net - Download the videos to your
computer instead of streaming"

which is why I have been trying to do just that. Don't see how though - any
ideas please
regards
David

Jonathan N. Little

David said:
If you go to the web site
http://www.learnflash.com/

on the left there is a passage of text:
"No need to be always connected to the net - Download the videos to your
computer instead of streaming"

which is why I have been trying to do just that. Don't see how though - any
ideas please
regards
David

Have you tried from menu while on the webpage "Tools|Page Info" (CTRL-I
on Mozilla) and go to the 'Media' tab and download it from there?

David Graham

Jonathan N. Little said:
Have you tried from menu while on the webpage "Tools|Page Info" (CTRL-I
on Mozilla) and go to the 'Media' tab and download it from there?
Hi Jonathan
I have gone to the page with the free Flash Tutorials links - I'm presently
streaming the Flash movie from the site. I did Tools - page Info and it has
one line that says 'Cache Source Not Cached' which doesn't look to
hopeful. I think I'll wait for it all to reach me and then I'll use the save
as button in the info page - if I have any luck I will post again.
One fundermental point I'm sure you could clear up for me is about the
cache. I'm starting to doubt everything I thought was true. I used to think
that the various elements that make up a web page e.g. .gif's, .jpgs etc
were stored in a cache on the hard disc e.g. Temporary Internet Files folder
for IE but now I'm thinking are these things actually on my hard disc. They
all have an internet address next to them and if you double click them they
will open OK while your connected to the internet but file not found comes
up if your not connected. What's more when I browse TIF folder with Paint
Shop Pro I don't get lots of little thumbs of all the pictures. Yet I
allocate a fair chunk of my C: drive to the TIF folder so I suppose they are
there - but it seems like they are not. Please clear this up for me - this
is beginning to be a real pain!
thanks
David
P.S
04 - Using the Oval Tool_controller.swf?csConfigFile=04 - Using the Oval
Tool_config.xml
Above is the address in the page info box. I have finished downloading and I
did save as but nothing seems to get saved to my desktop.