FireFox/NS experts: <iframe> inside <div> question -- help pls!

Julia Briggs

How do I construct a <iframe> or equivalent for FireFox/NS browsers,
inside a screen centered <div> tag? Can it be done?

mscir

Julia said:
How do I construct a <iframe> or equivalent for FireFox/NS browsers,
inside a screen centered <div> tag? Can it be done?

Does this work for you?

..inline {
background-color: #FFAABB;
text-align: center;
height: 520px;
width: 520px;
}
..if1{
width: 500px;
height: 500px;
}

<iframe class="if1" SRC="http://www.google.com">
</iframe>

RobB

mscir said:
Does this work for you?

.inline {
background-color: #FFAABB;
text-align: center;
height: 520px;
width: 520px;
}
.if1{
width: 500px;
height: 500px;
}

<iframe class="if1" SRC="http://www.google.com">
</iframe>

Since this is a JS group, I assume you meant programmatically...

<head>
<title>foo</title>

html, body {
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
}
#container {
width: 70%;
height: 70%;
margin: 40px auto;
background: pink;
}

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

function IFramePopulate(ctr_id, src)
{
var ctr;
if (ctr = document.getElementById(ctr_id))
{
while (ctr.hasChildNodes())
ctr.removeNode(ctr.lastChild);
var ifrm = document.createElement('IFRAME');
//ifrm.frameBorder = 0; //optional
ifrm.style.width = String(ctr.offsetWidth + 'px');
ifrm.style.height = String(ctr.offsetHeight + 'px');
ctr.appendChild(ifrm);
ifrm.src = src;

//]]>
</script>
</head>
onclick="IFramePopulate('container',
'http://www.google.com')">go</a></div>

Randy Webb

RobB said:
Since this is a JS group, I assume you meant programmatically...

Why rely on a JS dependency when its not needed?

--
Randy
Question: Why?

Julia Briggs

Ok, how can I get that to auto-center as an absolute layer? I've tried
different ways, but can only get it to display in a fixed position.

Julia

mscir

Julia said:
Ok, how can I get that to auto-center as an absolute layer? I've tried
different ways, but can only get it to display in a fixed position.

If you mean how can you center the div on the page using CSS, while this
might not be the best newsgroup for a CSS inquiry, did you try:

margin: auto;

maybe something like:

..div1{
width: 420px;
height: 420px;
margin: auto; /* center div on page */
text-align: center; /* center iframe in div */
}

<iframe>
</iframe>

Toby Inkster

Julia said:
Ok, how can I get that to auto-center as an absolute layer?

div.layer {
position: absolute;
left: 50%;
width: 200px;
margin-left: -100px;

RobB

Toby Inkster said:
div.layer {
position: absolute;
left: 50%;
width: 200px;
margin-left: -100px;
}
Randy Webb wrote:

Why rely on a JS dependency when its not needed?

Thought I covered that: "Since this is a JS group, I assume you meant
programmatically..."

Took the meaning of "construct" as signifying "after load" as
otherwise it's simply an HTML-related query. Could be incorrect,
although this:
Ok, how can I get that to auto-center...

....didn't help elucidate the issue. fwiw...

<head>
<title>foo</title>

html, body {
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
}
#container {
position: relative;
width: 600px;
height: 400px;
margin: 40px auto;
border: 3px #000 double;
background: pink;
}

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

function IFramePopulate(ctr_id, src)
{
var ctr;
if (ctr = document.getElementById(ctr_id))
{
while (ctr.hasChildNodes())
ctr.removeNode(ctr.lastChild);
var ifrm = document.createElement('IFRAME');
ctr.appendChild(ifrm);
ifrm.frameBorder = 0; //optional
ifrm.style.width = '450px';
ifrm.style.height = '300px';
ifrm.style.position = 'absolute';
ifrm.style.left = String((ctr.offsetWidth - ifrm.offsetWidth) * .5)
+ 'px';
ifrm.style.top = String((ctr.offsetHeight - ifrm.offsetHeight) * .5)
+ 'px';
ifrm.src = src;

//]]>
</script>
</head>
onclick="IFramePopulate('container',
'http://www.google.com')">go</a></div>

Yes. I know, it's JS....

Randy Webb

RobB said:
Thought I covered that: "Since this is a JS group, I assume you meant
programmatically..."

Does that mean if they ask how to set the color of an element, in a JS
group, then you will give them a JS solution instead of an HTML/CSS
solution?

Just because a question is asked in a particular group does not mean
that the answer is necessarily the topic of that group.

But this message is not posted solely to c.l.j, it is also posted to
alt.html

Again, why rely on a JS dependency when its not needed?

RobB

Randy Webb said:
Does that mean if they ask how to set the color of an element, in a JS
group, then you will give them a JS solution instead of an HTML/CSS
solution?

Just because a question is asked in a particular group does not mean
that the answer is necessarily the topic of that group.

But this message is not posted solely to c.l.j, it is also posted to
alt.html

Again, why rely on a JS dependency when its not needed?

This is silly. Here's the original Q:
How do I construct a <iframe> or equivalent for FireFox/NS browsers,
inside a screen centered <div> tag? Can it be done?

When I read that, it seemed unlikely that anyone would be asking if
they could 'construct' an iframe (HTML) inside a div (HTML) - that's
like posting "can I put a image inside a paragraph?" Not impossible,
but unlikely. I interpreted it as a request for a dynamic solution.
But, you're right, I am deeply ashamed, and I'll never post here again
after this unforgiveable lapse.
Does that mean if they ask how to set the color of an element, in a JS
group, then you will give them a JS solution instead of an HTML/CSS
solution?

Maybe. :D