Form processing

Scott

Hi,

I hope someone might be able to set me straight on how to handle the
situation described below.

I have a page that has an email field for user input and 2 radio buttons
(subscribe + unsubscribe) for signing up to a mailing list. What I would
like to have happen is the following:
The user enters an email and presses the submit button.
At this point a new window opens (I would like to be able to specify size,
etc rather than use _blank) to process the submission and return a reponse
(succeeded, already subscribed, etc). The user would then close the window
by clicking on a 'close' link in the new window.
I would also like the form data cleared, so the user doesn't think the
submission didn't work, despite seeing the confirmation window.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Michael Wilcox

Scott said:
What I would like to have happen is the following:
The user enters an email and presses the submit button.
At this point a new window opens (I would like to be able to specify
size, etc rather than use _blank) to process the submission and
return a reponse (succeeded, already subscribed, etc).

Couldn't you just have the form direct the user to a new page which would
process their data and give a response? That would be much more acceptable
and less complicated than opening a new window.
The user would
then close the window by clicking on a 'close' link in the new window.
I would also like the form data cleared, so the user doesn't think the
submission didn't work, despite seeing the confirmation window.

This would all be solved with the new page as described above.
Any ideas?

The processing certainly can't be done in HTML. For that you'll need a
language (I highly recomend PHP) which could manage all of your data in a
database and could also determine whether the user has already been
subscribed and other functions.

George Self

Scott said:
[...]

Remember that many people now turn off popups (for good reason). If you
insist on using a popup you will likely loose many potential subscribers.
Just open a new page (as is common on the web) to indicate "success" or
"you're already registered" or whatever.

--George