formatting numbers & columns in datagrid

John Wilson

I am still working away to get to grips with .NET web forms. Can anyone help
me with these conundrums?

How do I programmatically control the with of a datagrid itself and the
columns in it? At the moment my grid is wider than the columns, leaving a
spare bit to the right, and yet some of my columns are too narrow. Can I
even get them to adjust automatically, eg to the width of the widest cell
value?

Also, how do I get numeric data to display correctly? The data comes from a
sql query. I want it to display to 2 decimal places even if ".00", but at
the moment I can't get it to give me those extra zeros whatever I do.

I also had a problem figuring out how to right align the columns of figures.
I fiddled with the GUI and managed this, but more by accident than design
and I still don't know how I did it. In any event for future reference I
want to know how to do it programatically.

Has anyone any tips?

George Durzi

How do I programmatically control the with of a datagrid itself and the
columns in it? At the moment my grid is wider than the columns, leaving a
spare bit to the right, and yet some of my columns are too narrow. Can I
even get them to adjust automatically, eg to the width of the widest cell
value?

Set AutoGenerateColumns to False, and add columns in the html or using the
designer
Also, how do I get numeric data to display correctly? The data comes from a
sql query. I want it to display to 2 decimal places even if ".00", but at
the moment I can't get it to give me those extra zeros whatever I do.

You might be best off handling this in your SQL query
I also had a problem figuring out how to right align the columns of figures.
I fiddled with the GUI and managed this, but more by accident than design
and I still don't know how I did it. In any event for future reference I
want to know how to do it programatically.

you might be better off doing this in the html. After you've set
AutoGenerateColumns to False and added some columns, you can set many
properties of every column. Play around with the intellisense to explore.