Forms Authentication displays basic authentication dialogue window

Brett Porter

Hi,

A very large portion of my site uses forms authentication which seems
to work reasonably well. However many of my authenticated pages
display a basic authentication dialogue box prior to display, even
though I am authenticated. Clicking cancel to the dialogue box
displays the page fine with no problem however after a while this
becomes very annoying!

The pages that display the basic authentication dialogue box all pull
images, and access directories from folders that are outside of the
protected directory which it must do.

I have tried giving full control on the server to the Network Service
user which didn't work and, as a test, put full control on for all
users on the server which still didn't work.

It works fine on my local server.

If anybody could enlighten me I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Brett

Guest

If I understand correctly, your these folders are outside the application directory. If that is so...Can you check the permissions of ASPNET account on those folders which are causing the username prompt......

If that doesn't help...please rephrase your question to make me understand the question better...

Regards
Avneesh

Martin Maat [EBL]

The pages that display the basic authentication dialogue box all pull
images, and access directories from folders that are outside of the
protected directory which it must do.

If the images are static it seems like good idea to put copies under your
web application folder so you don't have to fiddle with access rights,
possibly complomise security and complicate maintenance.

Martin.

Brett

Hi Avneesh,

Thanks for your quick response. The folders are outside of the
authenticated folder but are still within the virtual directory on the
web server.

For some reason the account for anonymous users is Network Service. This
was set up by the hosting company. However I have set all of the users
to 'full control' (read / write / execute / modify etc) but this doesn't
solve the problem.

The server is Windows 2003 Server - I hope this helps.

Thanks once again,

Brett

Brett Porter

Hi Martin, thanks for this.

Unfortunately they aren't static images they are documents, video,
audio, images etc for a site administrator to incorporate into their
pages they create through the content management system. These files
will be uploaded by the administrator on-site, the pages will be
created by them in the CMS then published to the site so unfortunately
the files must reside outside of the authenticated section (unless
each file they uploade is duplicated one for the administration
section and one for the front end of the site!)

Any other suggestions?

Brett Porter

Sorted it.

I switched off both windows and basic authentication on the server in
IIS for the virtual directory. Now I can access the authenticated
areas of my site without the annoying basic authentication dialogue
window appearing every five minutes.