Frames with no borders, just one seamless colour across the whole window

Roger Withnell

The frames are a header, footer left side navbar and a main page.

I want to have one background colour, no borders, one seamless colour across
the whole window.

I am using CSS in the body tag of the pages in the frames to set the
background colour.

This gives my seamless colour across the whole window. But the default page
does not pass the W3C HTML validator test because I am using framespacing=no
and frameborder=0 in the top frameset tag.

If I remove framespacing=no and frameborder=0 from the top frameset tag to
pass the W3C I get a white gap between all the frames.

How do I get the best of both worlds: pass the validator test and a
seamless colour across the whole window?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Jonathan N. Little

Roger said:
The frames are a header, footer left side navbar and a main page.

I want to have one background colour, no borders, one seamless colour across
the whole window.

I am using CSS in the body tag of the pages in the frames to set the
background colour.

This gives my seamless colour across the whole window. But the default page
does not pass the W3C HTML validator test because I am using framespacing=no
and frameborder=0 in the top frameset tag.

If I remove framespacing=no and frameborder=0 from the top frameset tag to
pass the W3C I get a white gap between all the frames.

How do I get the best of both worlds: pass the validator test and a
seamless colour across the whole window?

Rodger, this gets asked here no less that 20 times a month. Best answer,
do not use frames. Include for common parts of each page, (header,
footer, navbar) with some version of sever side includes!

Of the million examples once can find Googling, this one see good enough

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
Thanking you in anticipation.

BTW, on Usenet please fix your "signature" by prefacing with signature
marker:

[hyphen][hyphen][space][carriage return]

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Roger said:
The frames are a header, footer left side navbar and a main page. ...

Please save yourself the aggravation.
How do I get the best of both worlds: pass the validator test and a
seamless colour across the whole window?

<http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/two-columns/final.htm>
which is from
<http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/page_layouts/>

or