Freeware text editor

Michael Laplante

I'm playing around with Amaya which is a WYSIWYG editor but it's slow and
buggy. However, it has a nifty 'Show structure' view that breaks down the
page into its elements in a sort of tree-style hierarchal order.

I've been text editing via the structure view -- useful for learning CSS as
the effects are immediately visible in the top pane.
Screencap here:
http://www3.telus.net/public/tao55/temp/screencap.jpg

Any text editors that present this way?

ironcorona

Michael said:
I'm playing around with Amaya which is a WYSIWYG editor but it's slow and
buggy. However, it has a nifty 'Show structure' view that breaks down the
page into its elements in a sort of tree-style hierarchal order.

I've been text editing via the structure view -- useful for learning CSS as
the effects are immediately visible in the top pane.
Screencap here:
http://www3.telus.net/public/tao55/temp/screencap.jpg

Any text editors that present this way?

If you have the DOM inspector module installed in FF it will do the same
job. Though it's not a text editor.

I *think* composer in Seamonkey might have some support for this.

Xplanes

www.evrsoft.com has a free product called 1stPage 2000 which does the same.
It looks Like Amaya supports more modern features. I'll give it a try
myself.

Lou

Edwin van der Vaart

Michael said:
I'm playing around with Amaya which is a WYSIWYG editor but it's slow and
buggy. However, it has a nifty 'Show structure' view that breaks down the
page into its elements in a sort of tree-style hierarchal order.

I've been text editing via the structure view -- useful for learning CSS as
the effects are immediately visible in the top pane.
Screencap here:
http://www3.telus.net/public/tao55/temp/screencap.jpg

Any text editors that present this way?

ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.ornj.net/software/araneae/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
acehtml: http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/acehtmlfreeware/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
quanta (linux): http://freeware.acehtml.com/
tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime:
http://www.dohnews.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=3&meid=4
nvu: http://www.nvu.com/
SciTE: http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTE.html
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

Michael Laplante

Edwin van der Vaart said:
Michael Laplante wrote:

Thanks for the extensive list but most of these don't display the code in
the structure format that I'm looking for. Can you be more specific about
which ones have the specific feature I'm looking for?