Front Controller design pattern and HTTP handler

Magdelin

I am trying to implement the front controller web
presentation design pattern proposed by MS at the
following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/type/patterns/enterpris
e/desfrontcontroller/

Alternative source: Downloadable pdf for "Enterprise
Solution Patterns Using Microsoft .NET" at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/type/Patterns/Enterpris
e/default.asp

I have problem calling a web page from a code behind file
using Server.Transfer method. Basically, the called web
page should go through the custom http handler class. I
get an error: "Error Executing Child Request exception".

From the following KB article and the related links it
looks like this problem is by design.
us;817036#appliesto

However, I would like to know if anyone had successfully
implemented Front controller design pattern and could help
me find a solution for this problem.

Regards,
Magdelin

Natty Gur

Hi,

I was involved twice in building MVC for ASP.NET app. one team
implements it as Handler and the other by creating their own base Page
class. Both of them got problems when they transfer a page with the Form
data to other page (not the same error that you post, that is associated
with calling ASP page). Their problem was that the Form data include the
original ViewState value that can’t parsed by the target page. We
workaround the view state problem by prevent sending the form data
(without the second parameter). We use the context item collection to
transfer the form data to the target page.

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Magdelin

I thank you for the information. Does the team which used
handler for MVC have any problems navigating between pages