generic Java servlet calendar backend, any available?

Asger Jensen

For a large project, I need to make some kind of calendar
functionality, that tracks different kinds of bookings (events) across
several users concurrently.

It occured to me, that this problem *must* have been solved 10^3 times
already, and started to look, but to no avail.

<wishfull_thinking>
What I want, is a backend system with a few calls
(such as, getEventsByDate, getEventsByUser, AddEvent, DelEvent, etc
etc)

Each of these events would be Calendar entries, with some kind of
user-defined data (my data), and the Backend would be able to return
errors/warnings in case of overlaps.

In my perfect world, it would be possible to define resources also,
that the backend could track for overlaps in bookings.

The code would only care about the _calendaring_ part of the data, and
allow my webservice to take care of the userdefined data.

It would also come with full source, allowing me to tweak it to my
preference.
</wishfull_thinking>

Is there such a system available anywhere?

No frontend required, as I must make it myself anyway to integrate it
into our project.

Regards
Asger Jensen