get parameter from a text box and submit with button

Larry Rekow

Using Visual Studio.Net 2003, MS SQL, IIS5

I have a few books on ASP.Net now, and looking all thru them and
googling for this answer, but i can't come up with a solution for the
following yet:

have created a datagrid and a dataset and data adapter

grdABI, dsABI and daABI

in the data adapter query builder, i made a select query with the
parameter @File_Num

works great from the query builder.

i have a text box, txtfilenum

and a button

if i click the button, i can get it to display all the of the files if
I remove the @File_Num critera from the select query

the code behind the button is:

daABI.Fill(DsABI1)
grdABI.DataSource = DsABI1
grdABI.DataBind()

how can I have the txtfilenum pass as a parameter to the query?
I know this is very basic but I would sure like some direction.

Also, since this data is for display only (not for updating, deleting,
etc.), am I correct that a repeater would be better than a grid?

thanks,

Larry Rekow

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."