get parameter from a text box and submit with button

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Larry Rekow, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Larry Rekow

    Larry Rekow Guest

    Using Visual Studio.Net 2003, MS SQL, IIS5

    I have a few books on ASP.Net now, and looking all thru them and
    googling for this answer, but i can't come up with a solution for the
    following yet:

    have created a datagrid and a dataset and data adapter

    grdABI, dsABI and daABI

    in the data adapter query builder, i made a select query with the
    parameter @File_Num

    works great from the query builder.

    i have a text box, txtfilenum

    and a button

    if i click the button, i can get it to display all the of the files if
    I remove the @File_Num critera from the select query

    the code behind the button is:

    daABI.Fill(DsABI1)
    grdABI.DataSource = DsABI1
    grdABI.DataBind()

    how can I have the txtfilenum pass as a parameter to the query?
    I know this is very basic but I would sure like some direction.

    Also, since this data is for display only (not for updating, deleting,
    etc.), am I correct that a repeater would be better than a grid?

    thanks,

    Larry Rekow

    "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

    Larry Rekow, Aug 28, 2004