Getting Additional Perl Newsgroups

Jim Keenan

My ISP's news server (news.verizon.net) distributes only a limited
number of Perl USENET news groups. In particular, they do not carry
perl.qa.

While I can follow this list via groups.google.com and, on a per message
basis, at nntp.perl.org, I would like to be able to follow this and even
more obscure lists as news, rather than as mail or thru a web interface.

Is there any way I can get such lists as news?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

A. Sinan Unur

My ISP's news server (news.verizon.net) distributes only a limited
number of Perl USENET news groups. In particular, they do not carry
perl.qa.

Am I missing something here? Why don't you add nntp.perl.org to your list
of news servers?

Sinan.

Tad McClellan

Jim Keenan said:
My ISP's news server (news.verizon.net) distributes only a limited
number of Perl USENET news groups. In particular, they do not carry
perl.qa.

Did you mean the "perl-qa" mailing list?

If so, then it is not a Usenet newsgroup, it is a mailing list.

If not, then where did you hear of the perl.qa newsgroup?

I cannot find any evidence of it.

I would like to be able to follow this and even
more obscure lists

But "this" is not a "list" (as in "mailing list") this is a
Usenet newsgroup.

Is there any way I can get such lists as news?

There is a significant difference between a newsgroup and a
mailing list. Obscuring the difference by accessing them
the same way hides the difference yet further.

You can subscribe to perl-qa and have the same back-and-forth
as in newsgroups, but it will be via SMTP rather than NNTP.

What is your objection to simply subscribing to the mailing
lists that you want to participate in?

If you tell us the real problem you are trying to overcome,
we may be able to suggest how to overcome it. :)

A. Sinan Unur

Did you mean the "perl-qa" mailing list?

If so, then it is not a Usenet newsgroup, it is a mailing list.

If not, then where did you hear of the perl.qa newsgroup?

I cannot find any evidence of it.

Just FYI.

That was my first reaction as well. On closer inspection, however, there
seems to be some sort of mail-news gateway. Indeed, if you look at, say,
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.qa, there is a link titled:

read in newsreader

toward the top of the page. Clicking on that opened my newsreader which
then connected to nntp.perl.org and downloaded a newsrc file and finally
showed me all the messages for perl.qa. I did not try posting (for the
obvious reason that I did not have anything to say) but I have a feeling it
would work.

OTOH, clearly it would have been in the OP's interest to first have tried
that link.

This was a nice surprise to me as I do prefer my newsreader's interface to
the web based one as well.

Sinan.

David H. Adler

Did you mean the "perl-qa" mailing list?

If so, then it is not a Usenet newsgroup, it is a mailing list.

If not, then where did you hear of the perl.qa newsgroup?

I cannot find any evidence of it.

One must keep in mind that the perl mailing lists tend to have a gateway
to usenettieness. Or not, I suppose. :)

If one uses nntp.perl.org as one's news server, one can find these
mailing lists as newsgroups (which is probably the answer to Jim's
original question - point your newsreader at a different server). I
often find this kind of handy for lists that I only look at
occasionally.

dha

Peter Scott

One must keep in mind that the perl mailing lists tend to have a gateway
to usenettieness. Or not, I suppose. :)

If one uses nntp.perl.org as one's news server, one can find these
mailing lists as newsgroups (which is probably the answer to Jim's
original question - point your newsreader at a different server).

What's also helpful is that Google Groups indexes postings
there under the perl.* hierarchy:

http://groups.google.com/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=perl.qa&lr=&hl=en

Jim Keenan

A. Sinan Unur said:
Am I missing something here? Why don't you add nntp.perl.org to your list
of news servers?

And so I just did. For some inexplicable reason, the name
notwithstanding, I was only aware of the web interface (the link you
cited in your follow-up message) to the perl.org lists -- so I was
thinking of them as mail lists rather than newsgroups. (I've also read
the perl.org lists via Google as suggested by Peter Allen.)

Actually, I think the reason is not inexplicable. I always look at the
web interface at my day job -- where I don't have a newsreader.

Part of the reason why I prefer to read these lists as news rather than
through Google is that while I can post to Google and have it
distributed right away, Google takes 6-9 hours to post messages on its
own web page. So I've often replied to postings on this group or on
c.l.p.modules, only to discover later that 4 other people (usually
including Tad) had already read the original posting and posted

Now let me extend this question a bit. What prompted me to post the
original question was the discussion yesterday as to how Tad and others
had Googled "retardo Perl" to discover the source of a quotation from
MJD. But when I Googled "retardo Perl", I came up with many references
to discussions of Perl in Spanish ... which led me to wonder, "How could
I subscribe to Spanish language Usenet news groups?" Simply adding
nntp.perl.org as a news server doesn't suffice for this.

Any further ideas? Thanks to all.
Jim Keenan

Michele Dondi

Actually, I think the reason is not inexplicable. I always look at the
web interface at my day job -- where I don't have a newsreader.

Pfui! I installed FreeAgent there[*]! But then I also "installed"
putty to log to my university Linux account and read mail, etc. ;-)

Of course this was possible on account of their total lack of security
measueres/controls, etc.

[*] And set up a tiny bat using xdelta to keep data consistent with my
home's installation.

Michele

Tad McClellan

Jim Keenan said:
Google takes 6-9 hours to post messages on its
own web page. So I've often replied to postings on this group or on
c.l.p.modules, only to discover later that 4 other people (usually
including Tad) had already read the original posting and posted

Beetcha!

Nah nah, nah nah nah!