Getting windows logon when using forms authentication

Guest

I have an ASP.NET application which uses forms authentication. For some
reason, after someone logs in, they get a Windows logon dialog whenever they
try to access any ASPX files in the forms-protected directory. I am
inferring this from the fact that the last entry in the IIS log is the ASPX
file in that directory.

The really odd thing is that I have another ASP.NET application on the same
server with the same exact setup (at least as best as I can tell) that
functions just fine. Obviously, ASP.NET is having trouble accessing some
file, but I cannot figure it out.

Both of these applications were installed using setup files build by VS.NET
2003.

Joe Rigley

Does the folder in which the users are accessing and being prompted for a
login have a web.config file? Maybe the authentication type is not Forms,
has a different form name, or its attempting to impersonate someone that
doesn't have access rights to that file, thus the login prompt. If the
web.config file exists, rename it to web.config.old and see if that stops
the login prompt while not breaking anything else too. Are the files in the
same folder as the where the authentication occurs?

Guest

OK - that works as a short term fix. The only problem now is that everything
in Password folder should need a password to be accessed. This was the whole
point of putting the web.config file in that folder. I checked the
authentication and it is indeed forms and there is no impersonation.

However, the minute I put the web.config file back in, the problem comes
back. Any other ideas.