Good Book for ASP .NET with VB only for new version

MiniStreak

Hi fellow programmers...................
I am trying to learn ASP .NET ver 1.1 using VB .NET only on a windows
200 Pro machine. I have done quite a bit with ASP 3 but have been off
programming for about a year... Can any of you recommend a good book from a
reputable author?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Best Regards,
Mark

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

For intro, the MSPress book Microsoft® ASP.NET Programming with Microsoft
Visual Basic® .NET Version 2003 Step By Step is good, especially if you use
it hands on.
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6725.asp

In the same vein, the MCAD books are nice for getting a wide array of
techniques. You can buy them as individual books, or as a package (if you
want to cert):
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6716.asp - package
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/5774.asp - web services
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6714.asp - ASP.NET apps

You can go either way (VB.NET or C#) with the MCAD books, as they have code
in both.

For code snippets and techniques, I like the following books
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6226999/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-1231066-3537563 -
Ultimate VB.NET and ASP.NET code book

I also like Billy Hollis' latest eBook (downloadable from Amazon), although
Billy and I disagree on some architectural topics. His writing style is
quite nice and it makes the book easy to read (NOTE: There are some
proofreading mistakes in this tome):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=sr_1_12/104-1231066-3537563?v=glance&s=books

Note that there are some free resources, as well:

1. The samples that load with the Framework. Install them, as they will take
you fairly far.
2. Content and code on www.asp.net and www.gotdotnet.com.
3. msdn.microsoft.com - check out the various .NET sections, as well as the
architecture section
4. The .NET help file (sample code in most topics)

The step-by-step, along with the sample code and other free resources, are a
great way to go to learn VB.NET/ASP.NET.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!