Good Book

Lars Johansen

HI are there any recommended books for an sysadmin who has been mostly
writing shell scripts, but want to move up to create more complex
programs.

James Stroud

Lars said:
HI are there any recommended books for an sysadmin who has been mostly
writing shell scripts, but want to move up to create more complex
programs.

Not that I am shamelessly promoting python here, but in all sincerity,
Programming Python by Lutz is exactly what you want. It is perfect for
sysadmins who need more programming muscle. You need to know the basics
of python before you read it, though.

James

--
James Stroud
UCLA-DOE Institute of Genomics and Proteomics

http://www.jamesstroud.com

kyosohma

HI are there any recommended books for an sysadmin who has been mostly
writing shell scripts, but want to move up to create more complex
programs.

The Python Cookbook would probably be another good resource. While I
don't like the Dummies series' name, the Python Dummies book is a good
introduction, although it doesn't have enough examples, in my opinion.

Mike

borroff

HI are there any recommended books for an sysadmin who has been mostly
writing shell scripts, but want to move up to create more complex
programs.

I believe there's a "Python for System Administration" book in the
works, an equivalent to the Perl book. Does anyone know when it's due
(particularly the authors, if they're online)?

Aahz

The Python Cookbook would probably be another good resource. While I
don't like the Dummies series' name, the Python Dummies book is a good
introduction, although it doesn't have enough examples, in my opinion.

Could you explain what examples you would have liked more of in _Python
for Dummies_?