good boook on software design

dotnet dude

What boook do you guys recommend for somebody with the software
development backgroud who wants to get started from scratch with the
designing of good sofware application. I am interested in understanding
how the logical and physical design of a software is prepared. Details
about the design patterns and the application blocks; and how and when
they should be used.

I would really appreciate if you guys can recommend some good boook
that you must have read or still refer to ... something you think is a
must read for all aspiring software developers planning to become
future project leads

Thanks

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

A good starting point is the McConnell three:
The Software Project Survival Guide
Rapid Development
Code Complete

The first book is very high level, the second on project management and the
third on rules for good software development practice.

Moving to patterns, I would look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/.
Good patterns on a variety of levels. http://www.dofactory.com/ is also a
good site with some code (C#).

dotnet dude

Thanks for the great selection .... I read the reviews for all of them
and they all are the best sellers. I am thinking about buying the code
complete 2nd edition today itself so that I have something to read over
the weekend ...
Thanks alot