Good Javascript Books?

DAB sounds worse than FM

Could anybody recommend a good Javascript book? I have an okay knowledge
of HTML, and can program in C/C++, but I have no knowledge of
Javascript.

I've had a look at 'Beginning JavaScript': http://tinyurl.com/4v8eh, but
it seems to be a bit wordy and assumes no prior knowledge of
programming.

Preferably, I'd like a book that's easy to read but not overly long, and
I'd prefer it to be pretty cheap.

TIA.

Freeview receivers price comparison -
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/freeview_receivers.htm
DAB radios price comparison -
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab_digital_radios.htm

Michael Winter

[snip]
just look through tutorial sites,

Unfortunately, most tutorial sites that I've encountered are just as bad
as most books: out-of-date and full of bad advice.

[snip]

Mike

Please don't top-post.

Replies should be placed inline with the relevant quoted material.
Unrelated material should be deleted (and preferably marked as such).

Signatures from previous posts should be deleted unless you are commenting
on them. In that case, make sure the delimiter, "-- ", has been deleted.
Your own signature must be the very last part of your post.

DAB sounds worse than FM

Matthew said:
In my own opinion, JavaScript book would be pretty useless unless you
need to learn general programming (which you don't if you know C).
JavaScript very similar to C. just look through tutorial sites, and
mainly reference sites such as...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1
http://www.regexplib.com/RETester.aspx (good for more advanced regular
expression testing)

...but that's just my opinion, primarily because it changes so much
due to DOM changes and other things that a book is outdated fairly
quickly.

Okay, thanks for the links. I've decided to go for Pure Javascript,
because I like a book to refer to, although I've bookmarked the links
you've given.

Freeview receivers price comparison -
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/freeview_receivers.htm
DAB radios price comparison -
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab_digital_radios.htm

Howard Kaikow

Don't.

Pure Javascript stinks.

Get David Flanagan's book, The Definitive Guide.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Howard said:
Get David Flanagan's book, The Definitive Guide.

Although mentioned in the FAQ, Flanagan is at least questionable. That
it is the considered the best book available for some people does not
make it a good book at all. Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]

PointedEars

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Sun, 12 Dec
2004 03:46:22, seen in Thomas 'PointedEars'
Lahn said:
Howard said:
Get David Flanagan's book, The Definitive Guide.

Although mentioned in the FAQ, Flanagan is at least questionable. That
it is the considered the best book available for some people does not
make it a good book at all. Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]

Caution - this idiot likes to reply to very old questions, and refuses
to comply with common sense by giving the date of the article cited in
his attributions, at least for old ones.