Google trends of Perl, PHP, Python, Visual Basic, assembly language

Ben Bullock

Here is an interesting comparison of Perl, Python, Visual Basic, and
assembly language:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Perl...ke,+assembly+language&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

Adding PHP swamps the details of the above:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Perl...ke,+assembly+language&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

PHP seems to be the winner, although my guess is that this numerical
superiority comes from false positives due to the number of web pages with a
".php" in their URL. As for the other results, it also looks as if Perl has
the roughly same popularity as Visual Basic. [Note: The "monty" is removed
from the Python search since this increases Python's popularity about 20%. I
put "snake" there for good measure although this doesn't seem to alter the
results significantly]. Bad news for assembly language programmers: assembly
language seems to be completely out of favour.