    would benefit much from joining this group, I hope that I could also
    share what will I learn in the future. For now, I greet you a pleasant
    day..Makaroy

    makaroy, Jun 9, 2007

  2. makaroy

    CBFalconer Guest

    To start with, realize that google is not Usenet, it is just a
    (relatively poor) interface to the Usenet system. Then read the
    following links, for generic info:

    --
    Some useful references about C:
    <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html> (C-faq)

    CBFalconer, Jun 9, 2007

  3. CBFalconer said:
    I really am getting very close to killfiling articles originating from
    Grougle servers. Apart from user15939 or whatever he calls himself, are
    there actually *any* clueful people here who post through Grougle?

    Richard Heathfield, Jun 9, 2007
  4. Hello.
    Before posting any questions remember that we have a C faq
    http://c-faq.com/
    it is also quite good for intermediate type learning. You can't learn C from
    scratch from it, but it clears up many popular misconceptions.

    Malcolm McLean, Jun 9, 2007
  5. makaroy

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Flash Gordon, Jun 9, 2007
  6. makaroy

    osmium Guest

    I am not willing to even look at, less much read, that impressive reading
    list.

    If there is some poor soul who does, I wonder, is there is even one of them
    that warns him that one of the main goals of many responders is to show
    what a witty fellow with a delightful sense of humor the responder is? A
    newcomer can *not* distinguish many such attempts from serious answers.
    Bottom line: turn your nonsense detector up to maximum sensitivity. And hope
    for the best.

    My guess, without reading, there is no such warning.

    osmium, Jun 9, 2007
  7. These may be useful in a generic sense, but the links below are required
    reading before trying to post in and be accepted in this newsgroup:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

    Kenny McCormack, Jun 9, 2007
  8. makaroy

    gw7rib Guest

    Well, I'd like to think that I'm clueful... My post on code
    comprehension (try searching for "gw7rib code comprehension" in
    comp.programming) seemed to be appreciated by the questioner.

    Paul.

    gw7rib, Jun 9, 2007
  9. Willful ignorance?
    You exaggerate.

    A more pertinent warning is that one should ignore the trolls. (One
    of them with initials KM, has posted in this thread.)

    Keith Thompson, Jun 9, 2007
  10. You flatter me. And I appreciate that.

    But are you saying that you are worried that the OP might take seriously
    the URLs that Chuck facetiously posted? If so, I really think you
    should give people more credit.

    Kenny McCormack, Jun 9, 2007
  11. Yes, but newcomers to the newsgroup won't have killfiled him (yet),
    which was the point of my warning. I certainly know that you don't
    need be warned about him.

    Keith Thompson, Jun 10, 2007
  12. makaroy

    Richard Guest

    Good links indeed. C.L.C is quite unique in my experience. In no other
    NG are there such a group of self important, arrogant know alls trying to
    climb to the top of the pecking order and having first "prance" at
    students and nOObs who might break one of their pedantic "rules".

    I sometimes wonder why half of them are here - they derive more pleasure
    from slapping a nOOb and then breaking off into a conceited "LOL"
    session than they do in actually helping.

    Richard, Jun 10, 2007
  13. Good links indeed. C.L.C is quite unique in my experience. In no other
    NG are there such a group of self important, arrogant know alls trying to
    climb to the top of the pecking order and having first "prance" at
    students and nOObs who might break one of their pedantic "rules".[/QUOTE]

    Agreed about the uniqueness, although I'm sure someone will chirp in
    soon and say that, e.g., clc++ is just as pedantic, and/or that there
    are other newsgroups that are this archaic. But I've not seen one.
    Gee, ya think?

    Or, to put it another way, ... and this surprises you because ... ?

    *Of course* it is all about mutual back-slapping among the regs.
    How could it possibly be otherwise?

    Kenny McCormack, Jun 10, 2007
  14. Richard, I now consider you to be in the same class of trolls as KM.
    I intend to ignore you from now on. (I don't currently use a
    killfile; consider this a virtual plonk.) I don't believe I run any
    risk of missing an actual meaningful contribution to the newsgroup.

    Just one request: would you consider adding something to your name?
    Using just "Richard" is ambiguous; there are several regulars in this
    group with that name. You needn't use your real last name, an
    initial, even a false one, would be fine. Thank you.

    Keith Thompson, Jun 10, 2007
  15. The irony of this post is just beyond belief.
    Nah, you are the one true Richard; the rest are just dicks.

    Kenny McCormack, Jun 10, 2007
  16. makaroy

    Richard Guest

    Asking people to grow up and stop polluting a NG with repeated warnings
    is not trolling. This NG is the *worst* I have ever seen in 20 years of
    technical programming.
    Of course you don't.
    I did consider it and the answer is no. The other Richard's all post
    with their sir name.

    If you wish to filter me, do it on my email address.
    Only in this NG could someone complaining about a complaint about
    excessive bullying and net nannying with advice on how to post to make
    their life easier.

    Richard, Jun 10, 2007
  17. makaroy

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Jun 11, 5:37 am, Richard T wrote:

    (NB. I've added the T for Troll to disambiguate you
    from any other Richards). Hope you don't mind.
    Pot calling the kettle black. You are one of the
    highest-volume off-topic posters in this group.

    Old Wolf, Jun 11, 2007
  18. I don't know if I count as clueful (either I am right a lot more than
    I really expect or I've been plonked for some reason, as I get few
    occasionally resort to GG due to flakiness of one's usual news server;
    the one here has become more finicky of late, regrettably.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jun 11, 2007
  19. makaroy

    borkhuis Guest

    I don't know if you consider my "clueful", but I am using Google. The
    reason for this is that I don't have access to any "normal" servers,
    as my company restricts traffic to HTTP and FTP. I guess more people
    have this problem, so you might filter out some good posts by
    killfiling Google.

    Kind regards,
    Johan Borkhuis

    borkhuis, Jun 11, 2007
  20. Old Wolf said:
    More to the point, I hope Richard Tobin doesn't mind.
    He is also not averse to making claims without backing them up - two
    appear in the above quote, for example. Since we don't know him from
    Adam, I don't know why he expects us just to take his word for such
    claims.

    Richard Heathfield, Jun 11, 2007