GridView Advice

Jeremy Martin

Hi,

I am designing a ASP.NET 2.0 front end for a Excel like DataEntry Sheet
and am interested in getting some guidance on what design route to
take. I can handle the details but need to know how to decompose this
problem into a workable soln. Generally though I believe the GridView
might be the component im after.

Basic View

ENGLISH ^ | READING | WRITING ......etc ->
Joe Bloggs VG ^ OT AT
Fred Flinstone E ^ AT BT
James Bane VG ^ AT OT

Ok may not look like much but basically what happens is the marker
chooses a subject via a DDL ie (ENGLISH) and then the rest of the
columns are made up of all the aspects of ENGLISH ie (Reading, Writing)

Master-Detail

The Marker chooses an effort for English via DDL ie (VG= Very Good)
The Marker then puts in results for each aspect ie OT = On Target.

This is repeated for all students.

The twist in this situation is sometimes READING could have Aspects
that make up READING so then on the fly READING needs to turn into a
DDL and show all the Aspects that make up READING to the Columns on the
right.

Master-Detail-Detail

I have bound datagrids to custom classes but the data has always been
close to the end grid and I could use the templates and OnItemDataBound
events to massage.

However with this screen being so left of field I dont know where to
begin.

Many Thanks
Jeremy