Handling Errors in Large File Uploads

Rajeev Tipnis

My problem has to do with not being able to have custom
error handlers when the file size exceeds what the IIS is
configured to handle.

I do understand that one can change the attributes:
maxRequestLength (along with the executionTimeout) of the
httpRuntime section in web.config or machine.config to
control how much and (how long) to open up the IIS gates.

However, for the cases when the size is larger than this
configuration, we want to be able to install custom error
handlers. Is it possible to do so (it seems that IIS is
returning a generic error when this happens).

In my opinion this is a bug. Is anything being done to
fix this? Does 6.0 or its patches have anything (we could
use beta versions as well).

Thanks in advance,
Rajeev

bruce barker

this has been answered many times. its not a bug in IIS. its a shortcoming
in the HTTP protocol. the upload of an oversized file is stoped by closing
the connection. the browser reports the error anyway it wants, usually as a
failed request.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| My problem has to do with not being able to have custom
| error handlers when the file size exceeds what the IIS is
| configured to handle.
|
| I do understand that one can change the attributes:
| maxRequestLength (along with the executionTimeout) of the
| httpRuntime section in web.config or machine.config to
| control how much and (how long) to open up the IIS gates.
|
| However, for the cases when the size is larger than this
| configuration, we want to be able to install custom error
| handlers. Is it possible to do so (it seems that IIS is
| returning a generic error when this happens).
|
| In my opinion this is a bug. Is anything being done to
| fix this? Does 6.0 or its patches have anything (we could
| use beta versions as well).
|
| Thanks in advance,
| Rajeev

Rajeev Tipnis

I do not know the details of how the IIS processing
works, but why can't a webserver lookup the configuration
during its pipeline processing - and report (provide a
way to handle this custom error) that the data has
exceeded what has been configured to be received on the
server?

Does HTTP protocol specify that the webserver must close
the connection if the file size exceeds a size that the
web server has been configured to receive?

I've googled around for this information. I likely missed
the technical details on the net. If there have been
technical discussions around this topic (including the
implementations by other webservers - apache and such),
I'd appreciate if you could point me to those.