Handling HTTP PUT with HttpHandler

Peter Kron

I'm trying to support WebDAV using an HttpHandler, so that I can persist
data in a database rather than flat files. I've been stymied by the fact
that PUT requests were not getting through to the handler, although GET
requests do. I've configured both IIS and web.config to accept the PUT verb,
and in fact if I disable WebDAV (see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241520 ) , I do get
the PUT requests.

This seems a bit drastic, since WebDAV is now disabled for the entire
server, not just my application, and it makes debugging tricky since VS
likes to access files via WebDAV.

I'm also not an expert in the whole WebDAV protocol, so I don't know what
other goodies IIS is providing that I have now turned off. My particular
need can probably get by with just PUT/DELETE, but it seems awkward.

I've seen various other posts from people trying to do the same thing and
some seem to have succeeded. Does anyone know how to get these verbs through
short of disabling WebDAV?

Thanks
Peter Kron