Hardware device capturing?

Anand

Hi Group!
I am basically a VB guy, newly ventured into JAVA. I have two queries
to ask and would appreciate greatly the timely help.

1. Is it possible, in JAVA, to capture the devices attached on the
machine, for example, a CDROM, zip Drive, Floppy Drive, etc.I require
to display dynamically on screen, what are the type of storage devices
connected to a machine?

2.is there any "platform independent" database products available for
use with Java?

I;d appreciate a prompt reply as it would aid me agreat deal in my
current project.

Regards,
H.S.Anand

Lee Fesperman

Anand said:
2.is there any "platform independent" database products available for
use with Java?

Yes, there are "platform independent" SQL DBMSs specifically for Java, written in 100%
Java (we market one).

Anand

Hi David,
thank you.
I did download the database software. But i was wondering, is there
any answer for my first question?

Regards,
H.S.Anand

David Segall said:
Posted and emailed:
Hi Group!
I am basically a VB guy, newly ventured into JAVA. I have two queries
to ask and would appreciate greatly the timely help. [snip]

Yes. Check out http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/