Help - aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched

Ken Stealth

Hi,

I had to fix this problem once before - after allowing microsoft to
install a patch on my XP box. It's been working great for a month and
now I'm back searching google, reading books, and trying to make it
work again.

If you try to hit a web page (that has always worked) on this box you
get the error:

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web
browser to retry your request.

If you read the event log you find the following 2 messages (many
times):

(1)
aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or
password supplied in the processModel section of the config file are
invalid.

(2)
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

I checked my machine.config and the processModel attributes for
userName is: userName="[machine]"

Out of desperation I set it to userName="[SYSTEM]" and even though
I've restarted everything numerous times - it still won't run.
Doesn't seem like it could be a permissions issue if I set UserName to
system does it?

Also, the machine.config has not changed in over a month. I spend
almost as much time keeping systems running or running correctly as I
do designing and writing code.

Thanks
Ken

Janaka

Sounds like you have a security problem with the aspnet_wp.exe process.
Check your NTFS security permissions on the .NET directories to see if the
account has sufficient permissions. Have you installed a newer version of
ASP.NET recently, i.e. the 1.1 framework? I've had problems myself since
upgrading to it. Also you might want to see if you can fix ISAPI dlls by
re-registering it "regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll" or using the Aspnet_regiis
utility
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...aspnetiisregistrationtoolaspnet_regiisexe.asp

orbcom

Check the ASPNET user properties in Local Users and Groups, go to
General tab, make sure the "User must change password at next logon"
checkbox is not checked. Tick the "user cannot change password" and
"password never expires" checkbox.
The patch that microsoft gave out several weeks ago recreates this
ASPNET user but didn't check those 2 checkboxes. After 60 (probably)
days, your app will fail since windows will require aspnet user to
change password..