Help:efficient FSM coding

msd

Hi everybody.
I´d like to write an efficient fsm controller to control a AX88796
ethernet mac/phy from a Xilinx FPGA. The interface of the mac/phy is
similar to a SRAM. The problem is that I have no idea, how I should
make the code indipendent from the clock frequency, to respect all
setup and hold constraints. How do I control that the state of the fsm
changes only after a paramatrized number of clock cycles, without
inferring counters and comparators (which wouldn't achieve a ~70MHz
performance)?

Best Regards
Marco

Mike Treseler

msd said:
The problem is that I have no idea, how I should
make the code indipendent from the clock frequency, to respect all
setup and hold constraints.

Consider a synchronous design using the same clock as the mac/phy.
How do I control that the state of the fsm
changes only after a paramatrized number of clock cycles, without
inferring counters and comparators

Those will be inferred, but it is not a problem.

(which wouldn't achieve a ~70MHz performance)?

70Mhz should be easy to achieve.

-- Mike Treseler