Help, Help, Help

Discussion in 'Java' started by Buster, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Buster

    Buster Guest

    As you can probably gather im in need of help. I started a basic JAVA
    course a week ago as it seems like a very interesting subject.

    The problem in having is with the IDE we have been asked to use. We are
    using JCreator, but in order for it to work, we are required to install the
    Java software development kit and a class library which comes with the
    course book called avi with is a audio visual interface library which is
    supposed to make it easier for us to learn the fundimentals of JAVA without
    having to worry about the input/output.

    Anyways, I have installed the JAVA SDK from SUN website and instaled the
    JCreator IDE but it seems to have a problem finding the avi class library as
    when i run a basic "Hello World" program as a test, the following error
    occurs when i compile the program:

    bad class file: C:\JavaClasses\Window.class
    class file contains wrong class: avi.Window

    Please remove or make sure it appears in the correct subdirectory of the
    classpath.

    Window screen = new Window("example1.java","bold","red",72);
    ^
    1 error

    Process completed.

    We where told to create a directory called JavaClass on the root directory
    and set the classpath to it. The other problem is the book tells you how to
    set the classpath for the SDK and the avi class library for windows 98 but
    im running XP so have kind of guessed on how to set the class path.

    Anyone got any ideas as i'm itching to jump into programming in JAVA but
    cant until i configure the IDE.

    Any help would be much appreciated

    Thanx.

    Buster, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Buster

    Paul Lutus Guest

    As you obviously do not know, cross-posting to eight unrelated newsgroups is
    a sure way to annoy Usenet regulars. These eight newsgroups are not the
    same newsgroup:

    comp.compilers.tools.javacc
    comp.lang.java.help
    comp.lang.java.machine
    comp.lang.java.misc
    comp.lang.java.programmer
    comp.lang.java.setup
    comp.lang.java.softwaretools
    comp.lang.java.tech

    They cover different topics and each has a separate reason for existing.

    Choose ONE of the newsgroups. Make ONE post. Await a reply.

    Paul Lutus, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Buster

    Dan W Guest

    Make sure the name of your java class is the same as the file name,
    i.e. Window.java should contain the line: public class Window{...

    As far as class path goes, it has always been a nightmare for people
    just starting java. From the command line enter:
    echo %classpath%
    to get the classpath. In it should be the avi io classes needed for
    your hello world. If not, to append directories containing the needed
    classes, type
    set classpath=%classpath%;<dir>;<dir>;dir;...
    If neither of these are the issue try to include some more
    information, such as current classpath, code snippets, etc.
    Good luck.

    Dan W, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Buster

    Saager Guest

    Try and ensure that the source if provided is not also int the
    classpath. This may Conflict class resolution as if it finds the
    source first and tries to compiles it in the wrong context(package
    spec), you could end up in the situation mentioned.

    Saager, Oct 30, 2003