Help: How to detect if the browser is closed?

hb

Hi,

Would you please tell me how to detect if the client's browser is closed?

I need such event to trigger a database modification.

Thank you

hb

Mike Moore [MSFT]

Hi,

For the most part, your server will never know when the client browser is
closed. Here are some very limited things you can do to tell if the client
is still on your page (whether open or closed)

While your server is processing a request, if it takes a long time to
service that request, you can call Response.IsClientConnected to see if the
browser is still on your page.

You can add code to your page's client onunload event which could notify
your server that the page is unloading. This will not tell you if the
browser is being closed.
For example: <body onunload="alert('closing');">

If you use this method, use showModalDialog to browse to a page which
notifies your server. That page will return JavaScript back to the dialog
with window.close();.

Another option is that you could write an ActiveX control. However, that
control will only exist so long as the user is on your page. You still
won't know if they close the browser.

Essentially, the internet was designed such that the server only knows
about the browser while it is processing a request from the browser. The
rest of the time, the server is not aware of the browser.

Does this answer your question?

Thank you, Mike
Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

steps listed to improve your computer's security.

--------------------

hb

Hi, Mike,

Thank you for the help.

Would you please tell me where should I put
if(Response.IsClientConnected)
{
//do something
}

Thank you

hb

From: "hb" <[email protected]>
Subject: Help: How to detect if the browser is closed?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:09:01 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi,

Would you please tell me how to detect if the client's browser is closed?

I need such event to trigger a database modification.

Thank you

hb

Mike Moore [MSFT]

Hi,

Here's an article that describes usage of IsClientConnected and includes a
code sample. It's old ASP code, but the concept remains the same.

182892 HOWTO: Use IsClientConnected to Check If Browser Is Connected
http://kb/article.asp?id=Q182892

Subject: Re: Help: How to detect if the browser is closed?

From: "hb" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:09:01 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi,

Would you please tell me how to detect if the client's browser is closed?

I need such event to trigger a database modification.

Thank you

hb

hb

Hi, Mike,

I have tried the method provided by the article Q182892.

The IsClientConnect will become false when either the browser is closed or
the user is redirected to another URL. I tried to use Request.Url to catch
the
new URL after IsClientConnect=false, but the URL I caught stay the same.

Plus, the process uses about 70% CPU. So this method cannot be use in
production code.

What I am looking for is a way that can allow me to detect if the browser
gets closed or
if user gets redirected to another URL that has different domain. The result
of such detection
triggers a modification in database.

Would you please give me some ideas?

Thank you

hb

From: "hb" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:09:01 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi,

Would you please tell me how to detect if the client's browser is closed?

I need such event to trigger a database modification.

Thank you

hb

Mike Moore [MSFT]

Hi,

The internet (specifically the HTTP protocol) does not allow the server to
keep watch over the client. The things I've mentioned are what is available
for watching the client.

Thank you, Mike
Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

--------------------
<[email protected]>

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:52:19 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

http://www.microsoft.com/protect site and perform the three
straightforward
steps listed to improve your computer's security.

This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

--------------------
From: "hb" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:09:01 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi,

Would you please tell me how to detect if the client's browser is
closed?

I need such event to trigger a database modification.

Thank you

hb

hb

I got it.

Thank you for the help!

hb
"Mike Moore [MSFT]" said:
Hi,

The internet (specifically the HTTP protocol) does not allow the server to
keep watch over the client. The things I've mentioned are what is available
for watching the client.

Thank you, Mike
Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

steps listed to improve your computer's security.

This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.<[email protected]>

From: "hb" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:52:19 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

Microsoft highly recommends to all of our customers that they
visit
the