Help Needed.. URGENT

som

Hi All,

I am new to this block, I am intrested to build my career in Java.
Rigth now i have an theoritical knowledege of Core Java but fail to
implement in practical part. I need an help from you all, how can I
improve my practical implementation.

Furthure i need to learn J2EE escp JSF.

Please Help me!

Soumya. G

roohbir

Hi Som,
I can understand your predicament. Well I am going through a similar
situation. I can tell you what I am doing about it.
My knowledge was limited to the theoretical area of OOPs, but that is
actually helping me in my endeavor to learn practical programming. I
would recommend a good book on Java and there is no dearth of these.
And then play around with the example code in the book. For example if
there is an applet which displays a number that could be modified using
an if-else block. This is just a basic example.
As you go on modifying the code the language should start making sense
and hopefully you can write larger code. It is quite time-consuming
though. But if you keep focussed then it should be ok. There are lots
of people in this news group and in others that can help you if you get
stuck.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Roohbir

som

Thanks,

Currently i am refering Thinking in Java by Bruce. I even have complete
ref by Herbert. But i prefer sun tutorial for refernec. Do you think
its worth refering?

som

Thanks,

Currently i am refering Thinking in Java by Bruce. I even have complete
ref by Herbert. But i prefer sun tutorial for refernec. Do you think
its worth refering?

roohbir

I tried Thinking in Java but gave up as I found it confusing. But it
might work for you. I am using Deitel's Java How to Program.
Although the Sun Tutorials are the best reference they are not very
reader friendly. I use them with Deitel's now after 6 months working in
Java but I used Deitel to begin with as it takes you through step by
step.
One book and the Sun Webpages are enough, I think.

eladkatz

roohbir said:
I tried Thinking in Java but gave up as I found it confusing. But it
might work for you. I am using Deitel's Java How to Program.
Although the Sun Tutorials are the best reference they are not very
reader friendly. I use them with Deitel's now after 6 months working in
Java but I used Deitel to begin with as it takes you through step by
step.
One book and the Sun Webpages are enough, I think.

Hi som, i reccomend reading a book in your native langauge - it will be
much easier and fluid.
furthermore, i reccomend the book "Head first JAVA" which is a very
fun book to learn from, with much humor and that can keep you
interseted even when the topic matter itself can be a little boring...
HTH,
Elad

ck

Hi som, i reccomend reading a book in your native langauge - it will be
much easier and fluid.
furthermore, i reccomend the book "Head first JAVA" which is a very
fun book to learn from, with much humor and that can keep you
interseted even when the topic matter itself can be a little boring...
HTH,
Elad

I certainly agree with Elad that one should read book in "native
language" unfortunately you would not find any good Java book for
reference in "Kannada"(I presume Som is from karnataka, I might be
wrong), "Hindi" or for that matter for plethora of Indian Language that
exist. Anyway, I too believe (just like Elad) that Head first Java is
good book to begin with. One more that comes in my mind is "The Java
Programming Langauge" by Ken and Gosling himself.
Head first Design patterns and Head first Servlets and JSP are also
good reference in their own area of interest(in case you would like to
learn about patterns and J2EE). Other books on the same line that I can
suggest is "Core J2EE™ Patterns: Best Practices and Design
Strategies, Second Edition" By Deepak Alur, John Crupi, Dan Malks
There are few more good books that I can think of like
Bitter Java
Inside the Java Virtual machine, Java Language Specification, JVM
specification
Effective Java™: Programming Language Guide by Joshua Bloch

I did not quite understand what does Som mean by Practical
implementation, Java can be used in different scenarios, Like Core
Java, PDE (eclipse) could be small module/project. Java can also be
used in J2ME or could be used in Enterprise application development
(J2EE). So you would need to be specific about what sort of platform
are you looking forward to use Java (for Practical implementation).

There are numerous Open Source projects try freashmeat or SourceForge,
or java net, read the documents associated with them and you can figure
out if that generates enough interest or not. If it does then pick up a
module and read it, try to figure out what or why it has been coded
like that. I am not really sure if picking up a project and reading
about it like this is a good idea or not. May be other members can put
forward their point.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ck
http://www.gfour.net

Patricia Shanahan

som said:
Hi All,

I am new to this block, I am intrested to build my career in Java.
Rigth now i have an theoritical knowledege of Core Java but fail to
implement in practical part. I need an help from you all, how can I
improve my practical implementation.

Practice, practice, practice. There are two aspects to programming,
knowledge and skill. Reading books helps develop knowledge, but not
skill. Programming skill comes from writing programs.

Start by picking an extremely simple task, and write a program to do it.
Then add a bit more to the task, and modify your program to do the new
job. If you are learning an API, pick tasks for which that API is a good
solution.

Interleave reading with programming. As you program, you will think of
questions that the books may answer. As you read, you may see things
that do not make much sense until you get to that point in your programming.

However, remember that programming is the object of the exercise. Books
are a means to that end, not an end in themselves.

Patricia

Daniel Pitts

som said:
Hi All,

I am new to this block, I am intrested to build my career in Java.
Rigth now i have an theoritical knowledege of Core Java but fail to
implement in practical part. I need an help from you all, how can I
improve my practical implementation.

Furthure i need to learn J2EE escp JSF.

Please Help me!

Soumya. G
First, we are all glad to help; That's why many of us are here.

Realizing you are "new to this block", I hope that don't take the
following too harshly. I just wish to help you get the best responses
here.

Keep in mind "Help Needed.. Urgent" as a subject line is likely to get
much scorn, where as "I'm new to Java, how can I get better at it?"
would be a more appropriate subject.

Also, "Urgent" itself suggests that you are willing to pay a consultent
to get some work done soon :) Usenet is not an instantanious medium,
and requestiing "Urgent" help is like sending a snail-mail letter to
your local emergency hotline.

</soapbox>

The best way to improve your pratical knowledge of Java program is to,
ahem, practice programming in Java. Write programs, lots of them.
Think of something simple, and try to make it happen. Look into
programming problems and try to solve them. Recreate simple
applications that you use every day.

Read books about the subjects you're interested in (such as JSF), and
try to make something work that uses it.

Hope this helps, and good luck,
Daniel.

Lew

Please do not top post.
And then play around with the example code in the book. For example if
there is an applet which displays a number that could be modified using
an if-else block. This is just a basic example.

If it's an applet, it's not a basic example. It is better to learn Java on
applications, then tackle the unique difficulties of applet programming.

As others have said, write lots of code to learn things.

Musician asking a stranger in Manhattan, New York, for directions:
"Pardon me, can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?"

Response: "Practice, practice, practice!"

- Lew

som

Thanks all..

I have already started to practice from Basics. Now i am concentrating
on core Java later i want to do J2EE. I consulted few of my friends
they said before getting into J2EE you need to know Core Java so i am
just concentrating on Core Java first.

Soumya

Lew

Top posting re-ordered.
Thanks all..

I have already started to practice from Basics. Now i am concentrating
on core Java later i want to do J2EE. I consulted few of my friends
they said before getting into J2EE you need to know Core Java so i am
just concentrating on Core Java first.

A: Because it makes the messages harder to follow.
Q: Why shouldn't one top-post?

- Lew

Berlin Brown

som said:
Hi All,

I am new to this block, I am intrested to build my career in Java.
Rigth now i have an theoritical knowledege of Core Java but fail to
implement in practical part. I need an help from you all, how can I
improve my practical implementation.

Furthure i need to learn J2EE escp JSF.

Please Help me!

Soumya. G

J2EE should be your focus (unless you can't stand web application
development). Even minimal knowledge with J2EE is a good thing. Start
with learning about tomcat. Launch the examples, start doing work with
basic servlets and JSP pages. Learn about JDBC. Then move onto
frameworks, SpringMVC, Struts, Hibernate.

Oh yea, and dont get frustrated. J2EE can be very frustrating.

I have known people with very little J2EE development knowledge and
been able to get jobs in J2EE (because there are so many in that area).
I think that core J2SE doesnt have as many positions because that
would equate to Swing applications or Console based, and web seems to
be the new thing for application development so there is such a focus
on J2EE.

Berlin Brown
http://www.botspiritcompany.com/botlist