Help needed with form submits and Perl handling

Robert V

Hi all, I could use some help programming on of my Perl script to handle
different submit buttons within the same form. Here is what I have so far.

A user goes to a Web form and inputs some data into a textarea box. Below
this box there are two buttons ... one that is labelled "Save & Exit" and
other that is labelled "Save and Preview" On submit of either button, the
form data is sent to the same perl script. What I need to have happen is
have the script detect which button was pressed and that the needed action.
If the Save and Exit button was pressed, the script would write the data to
my database then exit using the Print Location command ... if the Save and
Preview button was pressed, the script would write the data to my database
then display it. What coding would I need at the top of the script that
would somehow determine what button was pressed, and in turn, take the
correct action. If you can help, please add some code examples. Thankx!

RV

Jeremy Fluhmann

Robert,

I don't know if this is a good approach, but have you tried something like:

sample.cgi

#!c:\perl\bin\perl
use CGI;

my $q = CGI::new;

my $button1 = $q->param('myButton');

print $q->header,$q->start_html;

if ($button1 =~ /Preview/) {
<--- Save and preview code --->
}

elsif ($button1 =~ /Exit/) {
<--- Save and Exit code --->
}

<form method="POST" action="sample.cgi>
<input name="myButton" type="submit" value="Save and Preview" />
<input name="myButton" type="submit" value="Save and Exit" />
</form>

Hope that helps,
Jeremy Fluhmann
McLane Information Systems