Help: Runtime Error - Server Error in '/' Application

Kevin Farless

Hi all,

I'm having trouble viewing any .aspx pages on my hosting company's server.
The server is a new box running Windows Server 2003 default installation.
I'm the first client to try using ASP.NET on this box and the administrator
of the server has never setup an ASP.NET site before, so most likely the
problem I'm experiencing is server settings related.

Note in the Web.config below that the <customErrors mode="Off"/> is present,
but is having no affect on the error message the server is producing. What
server settings should I suggest the administrator change?

Thanks in advance, Kevin.

Here is the Web.config file:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Here is the 'test.aspx' page I'm trying to view:

<%@ Page Language="VB" ContentType="text/html" ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1"
%>
<head>
<title>Test ASPNET</title>
</head>
Test ASPNET

This is the error I'm getting:

Server Error in '/' Application.
----

Runtime Error
error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom
error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's
<customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Guest

In default Windows 2003 instalation iis is not installed. The administrator must install it and allow to parse *.aspx files. (I have seen a howto somewere in msdn, but i don't remember exactly where. Look for "Internet information services")

Kevin Farless

I believe that IIS is installed. The server correctly handles .htm, .html,
..asp pages correctly. The above problem is specific to .aspx pages only.

Thanks in advance, Kevin.

menkaur said:
In default Windows 2003 instalation iis is not installed. The
administrator must install it and allow to parse *.aspx files. (I have seen
a howto somewere in msdn, but i don't remember exactly where. Look for
"Internet information services")

Guest

if so, do:
Administrative tools->iis manager->local computer(or this server?)-> ASP.Net: Allow.
If it does not work, allow everithing (but it will damage server sequrity)

nborders

I am having the same problem, and cannot figure out what has gone
wrong with my server.

I'm about ready to pull my hair out with this problem! Any help would
be appreciated.

~n

Guest

if the last one did not help, go to
iis Manager->WebSites
Then select directory where your application is in. Rigth click ->Properties ->Directory ->Create (Application). In my case it helped

Saber

If you use FTP to upload files, be sure to upload "bin" folder and its
files.

--
Saber S.
http://maghalat.com (Persian)
Kevin Farless said:
Hi all,

I'm having trouble viewing any .aspx pages on my hosting company's server.
The server is a new box running Windows Server 2003 default installation.
I'm the first client to try using ASP.NET on this box and the
administrator
of the server has never setup an ASP.NET site before, so most likely the
problem I'm experiencing is server settings related.

Note in the Web.config below that the <customErrors mode="Off"/> is
present,
but is having no affect on the error message the server is producing.
What
server settings should I suggest the administrator change?

Thanks in advance, Kevin.

Here is the Web.config file:

Todd Konesky

I was having the same problem, here's how I fixed it.

You need to make sure the virtual directories in iis are created as
Applications. (properties/homepage/create)

If not you'll keep getting that error and the web.config file with the
mode=Off setting won't be read because the applications doesn't exist.

-todd

Guest

User submitted from AEWNET (http://www.aewnet.com/)

[...]

Brock Allen

Without more detailed error information, there's not much that we can do
to help. From the little bit you've provided, though, my guess is that you
have a type in your XML file so the application fails to even load. You should
term serv into the server and see the actual error. There might even be an
entry in the event log describing what happened.

Joined
Oct 3, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I had had the same error and solved it by changing my server supporting ASP.Net version into 2.0.

But when i try to run my application it shows no error but loading like forever.

I tried putting up some simple aspx pages n it is running.

Can it be that my application has problems or can there be anychance i can solve it withouht touching my application since it runs smoothly on local with no error.