Help - Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter 'asp' and other weird errors in aspx file

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alan Silver, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    Hello,

    I have two weird problems here. I have a master page file that works
    absolutely fine. When I load it up in VWD, I get a couple of weird (to
    me) errors.

    First, I get the error "Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter 'asp'"
    on the third line shown below...

    <head runat="server">
    <title>abc</title>
    <asp:contentplaceholder id="cphHeadStuff" runat="server" />
    </head>

    This is the first asp tag in the file. If I add another server tag in
    the <head> section, I get the same error. I don't get any such error on
    the server tags in the <body> of the master page.

    Second, I get an error on the following bit of code (which is in the

    <asp:placeHolder ID="plcSearch" RunAt="server">&nbsp;<asp:TextBox
    ID="txtFind" Columns="20" cssClass="box" MaxLength="30" RunAt="server"
    />&nbsp;<asp:Button ID="btnFind" OnClick="btnFind_Click" Text="Find"
    cssClass="button" RunAt="server" /></p>
    </asp:placeHolder>

    VWD gives the error "Cannot switch views: Validation (ASP.Net): Element
    'PlaceHolder' is missing its closing tag" on the opening tag, and
    "Cannot switch views: This end tag has no matching start tag" on the
    closing tag.

    Anyone any idea what causes these two errors, and how to get rid of
    them? As I said, the page works fine, it compiles, I can add content to
    the contentplaceholder in the <head> and manipulate the placeholder in
    the <body>. VWD just doesn't like them.

    TIA

    Alan Silver, Feb 6, 2006