Help - Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter 'asp' and other weird errors in aspx file

Alan Silver

Hello,

I have two weird problems here. I have a master page file that works
absolutely fine. When I load it up in VWD, I get a couple of weird (to
me) errors.

First, I get the error "Unrecognized tag prefix or device filter 'asp'"
on the third line shown below...

<head runat="server">
<title>abc</title>
<asp:contentplaceholder id="cphHeadStuff" runat="server" />
</head>

This is the first asp tag in the file. If I add another server tag in
the <head> section, I get the same error. I don't get any such error on
the server tags in the <body> of the master page.

Second, I get an error on the following bit of code (which is in the

<asp:placeHolder ID="plcSearch" RunAt="server">&nbsp;<asp:TextBox
ID="txtFind" Columns="20" cssClass="box" MaxLength="30" RunAt="server"
/>&nbsp;<asp:Button ID="btnFind" OnClick="btnFind_Click" Text="Find"
cssClass="button" RunAt="server" /></p>
</asp:placeHolder>

VWD gives the error "Cannot switch views: Validation (ASP.Net): Element
'PlaceHolder' is missing its closing tag" on the opening tag, and
"Cannot switch views: This end tag has no matching start tag" on the
closing tag.

Anyone any idea what causes these two errors, and how to get rid of
them? As I said, the page works fine, it compiles, I can add content to
the contentplaceholder in the <head> and manipulate the placeholder in
the <body>. VWD just doesn't like them.

TIA