Help with C++

Fireseeker

Hello. I am very new to Visual C++. I ussually program using Visual
Basic 6.0 (i have Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition) but i really
like games, so i tried to make one on Visual Basic but i cant make a
2d side scrolling game using VB6 . So i want to learn Visual C++ So I
can make 2D Side Scrolling Games and 3D Games in the future. But I
have no Idea what to do. I want to learn the Basics first, like
creating a text box and a button and stuff like that because i
realized that there is no Design Mode in Visual C++. Any tutorials or
help at all would be greatly appreciated. Right now all I need is to
learn how to create a text box and a button and a frame etc. Just like
the toolbox in VB6. I want to start off easy like a hello world
program. then move up and learn to use SQL Databases so that whoever
uses my program can access and retrieve information over the Internet.
Tutorials or any help at all would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Fireseeker

Ron AF Greve

Hi,

You first have to learn C++ (obviously :) ) If you (already) learned that
you have to decide which technique to use
OpenGL (Is probably easier to port to other OS'es if that is a concern)
Windows GDI, you can certainly create games with it but I am not sure it is
fast enough for a sidescroller in highres.
DirectX If you don't know what to choose choose this one

For the last one download microsoft DirectX for developers and then just
read up try the examples etc. It is going to keep you busy for a while, but
writing your own shader and seeing it work is very rewarding.

In addition to that some very nice tuts.

http://zophusx.byethost11.com/main.php
http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/DirectX/Csharp/Series3/Vertex_Shader.php
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1496.asp

And for sound you might use DirectX or OpenAL

To create 3D stuff.

http://www.blender.org

Regards, Ron AF Greve

http://www.InformationSuperHighway.eu

Scott McPhillips [MVP]

Fireseeker said:
.... But I
have no Idea what to do. I want to learn the Basics first, like
creating a text box and a button and stuff like that because i
realized that there is no Design Mode in Visual C++. Any tutorials or
help at all would be greatly appreciated. Right now all I need is to
learn how to create a text box and a button and a frame etc.

No, those are not the basics! You cannot write a C++ program without first
understanding the C++ language. Do not even think of starting a C++ Windows
program until you understand the language syntax and basic concepts like
classes, objects, and pointers. Check out the faq for some C++ book
recommendations.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Hello. I am very new to Visual C++. I ussually program using Visual
Basic 6.0 (i have Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition) but i really
like games, so i tried to make one on Visual Basic but i cant make a
2d side scrolling game using VB6 . So i want to learn Visual C++ So I
can make 2D Side Scrolling Games and 3D Games in the future.

Just to clarify things, this group is for discussions about the C++
language, and we will help you with any answers you might have about
that, you should take a look at the FAQ for this group since it contains
a lot of useful information, especially section 5, you can find it at
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

It is important to notice that Visual C++ is not the same thing as C++,
when you talk about Visual C++ you usually mean using Windows specific
APIs and libraries, these things are off-topic for this group, but there
are other groups where such questions will be answered, section 5 in the
FAQ has a list of groups which might be useful.
But I
have no Idea what to do. I want to learn the Basics first, like
creating a text box and a button and stuff like that because i
realized that there is no Design Mode in Visual C++.

I seem to recall that there was a design-mode in VC++ 6, but it was a
long time ago that I last used it. My suggestion for you is to start out
with learning the basics of the C++ language before trying to write any
GUIs. It might not be as exiting as writing cool graphical user
interfaces but it will pay of in the long run. You'll also discover that
C++, is a superior language to Basic (at least that's my opinion).
Any tutorials or
help at all would be greatly appreciated. Right now all I need is to
learn how to create a text box and a button and a frame etc. Just like
the toolbox in VB6. I want to start off easy like a hello world
program.

I don't have any tutorials for you, but if you take my advice and learn
C++ before you start out with other stuff I can recommend the book
Accelerated C++, by Koenig and Moe, Bruce Eckel's book Thinking in C++
is available for free from his site, google and you shall find.

If you do take my advice then I'll also recommend that you get yourself
a better compiler that VC++6, VC++ 2005 Express is available for free
from MS site, while you can not use MFC with it there are other, free
third party frameworks available, such as wxWidgets or Qt.