Help with design decision

tubby

I’m developing an application that will send a lot of data (up to one
gigabyte) from a user to a company file server. One of the requirements
of the solution is that the user doesn’t have to choose what file to
send, all he has to do is press a button to start the upload. One
solution is to create client- and server applications that use socket
communication, but could a better choice be to create a web service
that receives the data? In the future there could be added
functionality to the server that e.g. sends statistics to the client,
and it must be easier to add such a feature using a web service
solution, right?

The best solution would be for the user to connect to a web page, be
shown a button that says “start”, and when pressing it the correct
files from his hard drive automatically gets uploaded to the server.
But is that even possible to do, could it be done using some sort of
ActiveX control that gets access to his hard drive?

I need all the advice I can get in deciding what solution to use.

cbDevelopment

You will not be able to script a <input type=file> control, so that
immediately limits your options. If you can get away with requiring IE,
you can write an ActiveX component that will do the transfer. If not,
you are looking at Java.

HTTP post uploads are generally slow, so you may want to consider FTP.
I don't know of any way to determine the percent complete of a POST
request, however, you could monitor the file size of an FTP upload and
the client could request the current file size via a web service and
calculate the percent complete. So web services may be of benefit at a
different level.

You make no mention of security. That will definately be a concern.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project.

----
700cb Development, Inc.
http://www.700cb.net