    But is that even possible to do, could it be done using some sort of
    ActiveX control that gets access to his hard drive?

    I need all the advice I can get in deciding what solution to use.

    tubby, Dec 2, 2005

  2. You will not be able to script a <input type=file> control, so that
    immediately limits your options. If you can get away with requiring IE,
    you can write an ActiveX component that will do the transfer. If not,
    you are looking at Java.

    HTTP post uploads are generally slow, so you may want to consider FTP.
    I don't know of any way to determine the percent complete of a POST
    request, however, you could monitor the file size of an FTP upload and
    the client could request the current file size via a web service and
    calculate the percent complete. So web services may be of benefit at a
    different level.

    You make no mention of security. That will definately be a concern.

    Good luck. Sounds like a fun project.

    ----
    700cb Development, Inc.
    http://www.700cb.net