Help with this project.

sirisha

Arithmetic operations are among the most basic instructions in
microprocessors and many other ASICs. From SPECfp2000 benchmark, about
15% of the floating-point ALU operations are additions and about 10%
are subtractions. The most time consuming arithmetic operation is the
floating-point division, then comes to the multiplication and then the
addition/subtraction. The speed of those arithmetic operations
directly links to the overall performance of the ALU units and so the
computers. Since floating-point addition/subtraction units are built
on top of integer addition/subtraction units, performance of integer
addition/subtraction units have direct link to performance of
floating-point units.

In this class project, we design 2 32-bit addition/subtraction units,
one uses straight simple ripple-carry algorithm and the other uses
carry-looked-ahead algorithm. Our study will basically explore the
correlations between areas, speeds, algorithms and will at least cover
the information as listed below. All analyses will be performed based
on both theory and measurements and explanation will be provided for
discrepancies between the twos.
ƒ 1)Correlation of areas and speeds for both algorithms will be
determined
2)The two designs will be optimized for areas and analysis on speeds
will be performed
3)The two designs will be optimized for speeds and analysis on areas
will be performed
4)Costs and speeds of a 32-bit floating-point unit if the unit is
built based on one addition/subtraction algorithm versus the other
will be relatively evaluated

This project start with verilog code. I am unable to start the
code.I need help from group.

Thanks
sirisha.

Prasanth Kumar

[...]

Here is some help to start the code:

module ripple(sum, opa, opb);

// you fill in the code here

endmodule

sirisha

Prasanth Kumar said:
Here is some help to start the code:

module ripple(sum, opa, opb);

// you fill in the code here

endmodule

can u give some more ideas of this project.difference between ripple
and carry look ahead adders.

thanks
sirisha.

Ralf Hildebrandt

sirisha said:
can u give some more ideas of this project.difference between ripple
and carry look ahead adders.

This is teached in every course about basic digital circuit techniques.
If you missed lecture, search the internet. It took me 5 Seconds to find
some helpful pictures and a text about this topic. I took
http://images.google.com with search string "Carry Ripple Adder" and
found
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...v=/images?q=Carry+Ripple+Adder&hl=de&lr=&sa=N

Ralf

Vick

Sorry , if i sound rude, but this is just another posting where you
have cut and paste the entire Project details and asking for
solutions.

If I am not wrong this is probably another "indian female" posting it
who has taken this Computer Architecture course thinking it mite bost
her GPA but now struggling with it...

PLease do not post ur homeworks,

Thanx

sirisha

Hi
Vick,
I don't want any solution of this project.Just i posted about my
project so that i can get an idea from group.Thats it.I am not
struggling with GPA and project.
Such rude affected me.Don't be like that.

Thanks for rest of them who gave ideas about this project.

Thanks
sirisha.