Help with using glob() with stat()

Tony

Hello All,

I'm having difficulty in using the glob function with stat.

Here is a simple piece of code –
#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use File::Glob;
use File::stat;

$loc_dir = "/home/tony/perlTest";

my @fileList;
my $modTime;
my $filename;

@fileList = glob ("$loc_dir/*.txt");
$filename = $fileList[0];
print "$filename\n";
$modTime = (stat($filename))[9];
print "$modTime\n";

The $modeTime being returned by the stat() function I believe is
returning a null, since I am not getting anything back..

The print statements are returning:

/home/tony/perlTest/test1.txt
../sample5.pl line 15.

--------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the second statement "Use
of..." is indicating that $modTime is being set to NULL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Tony

Steve,

Thanks - that worked like a charm....

Tony

Steve Grazzini said:
Tony said:
Here is a simple piece of code ?
^^^^^^^^^^

Here's your problem. The builtin stat() returns a big
list, but the version exported by File::stat returns an
object.
$loc_dir = "/home/tony/perlTest";

my @fileList;
my $modTime;
my $filename;

@fileList = glob ("$loc_dir/*.txt");
$filename = $fileList[0];
print "$filename\n";
$modTime = (stat($filename))[9];

So stat() returns a list of only one item (the object)
and you're looking for the tenth element of that list.

Just get rid of the "use File::stat". For that matter
you could get rid of "use File::Glob" as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the second
statement "Use of..." is indicating that $modTime is
being set to NULL.

It's "undef" in Perl, but more or less the same idea.

HTH