Help with Visual Studio (beginner)

tripwater

Hello,
I am a php programmer moving over to ASP.NET, VS and C#. I am having a few
problems getting started. I have everything installed and running, it is
more or less figuring out how to do simple things.

I have a test form called webform1 with one field on it for a first name. I
am trying to figure out how to post this info to webform2 and display the
field value on webform2 in a label. In php and HTML all I had to do was put
webform2 in the action property of the form of webform1 and on post, access
the post var by $HTTP_POST_VARS["firstname"].

I figured out how to pass the value over to the other page via query string.
But if I had a form with 30 fields on it this would get tiresome. I just
need some guidance as to what I need to do to accomplish this simple task so
I can continue learning. I have been stuck on this for days and can not find
a tutorial online that goes beyond posting to the same page (i.e: webform1
posts info to webform1).

So I basically need to know how to pass a form's values to another page and
then access those variables on the next page(not the same page) within
Visual Studio (C#).

Thank you for any help in this.

Andrei Pociu

You use Request.QueryString["fieldname"] for parameters passed in the URL,
but not from a form that uses POST method.

I also come from a PHP background, and .NET works fairly different. You
simply change the value of a label with the text from a textbox just like
you would in any other application (assuming you use code-behind):

if(IsPostBack)
{
lblName.Text = txtName.Text;
}

That's the charm of .NET.

Lionel LASKE said:
You just have to use Request.QueryString["fieldname"] in
webform2.Page_Load to get the value of your field in webform1.
For PHP to ASP.NET, a good link for you:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/migration/phpmig/

Lionel.

tripwater said:
[...]

Amit Bahree

I would recommend to read up on state management [1], it will certainly
help in the bigger picture of things.

[1] - http://tinyurl.com/6ymgu