Here's one for you ASP.NET experts...REVISITED

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by B Wagner, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. B Wagner

    B Wagner Guest

    This message was posted (not by me) in July and never saw any
    original post (can also be seen here:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=&rnum=15)

    Ever since I started working with .NET Framework 1.1, everytime I
    start debugging my ASP.NET project when the browser launches I get the
    following error. However, when I refresh, this immediately goes away
    and doesn't come back until the next time I restart the app. Also,
    another developer on another project gets the same behavior. I have
    also noticed this in deployment - always happens the first time any
    page in the project is opened after deployment and then never again.

    Of course, there are NO errors in the web.config file, this is a
    misleading error message. But why does this occur and how can we get
    rid of it forever?

    Server Error in '/tips' Application.

    Configuration Error
    configuration file required to service this request. Please review the
    specific error details below and modify your configuration file
    appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: Exception in configuration section handler.

    Source Error:

    Line 24:
    Line 25: <!-- if you get a configuration exception then make sure
    the folder exists for the logs -->
    Line 26: <system.diagnostics>
    Line 27: <switches>
    Line 28: <add name="PageEntryAndExit" value="4" /> <!--
    Verbose=4 -->

    Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\tips\web.config Line: 26

    Now, I also have an additional problem, and I'm unsure if it's
    related, but I should mention it. My application is set up with a
    splash screen and a redirect (via Javascript) to a login page.
    Regardless of receiving the above error, my login page takes an
    abnormally long time to load and is finally displayed as having no
    source, not one line, not one HTML tag.

    CONFIG:
    WinXP Pro
    ..NET Framework 1.1
    VS.NET 2003 (oooh, is that it?)

    TIA for any help. I've tried many of the standard solutions, to no
    avail.

    BW

    B Wagner, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Hi

    Are you running any Nortan Anti Virus programs on your
    system?

    Ravikanth[MVP]

    Ravikanth[MVP], Aug 14, 2003

  3. Just Norton

    Guenther Liebowitz, Aug 14, 2003
  4. LOL

    Guenther Liebowitz, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Ravikanth[MVP], Aug 14, 2003
  6. OK so what about MacAFEE?

    Try that one.

    Guenther Liebowitz, Aug 14, 2003
  7. At the moment, I have no anti-virus software running. I heard it might
    be a problem, so I'm running without it for the moment. I've gone down
    many "mebbe THIS'll work" paths, but none have provided me with enough
    insight to pinpoint the problem.

    I do have VS.NET 2002/VS.NET 2003 running concurrently (and so Framework
    1.0/1.1), but that "shouldn't" be causing a problem...right? That's
    where I cringe, though...I suspect some sort of versioning problem.

    Brandon Wagner, Aug 14, 2003
  8. OK so if you have stopped your virus software and you're sure you haven't
    messed with the config files, then try switching the frammer setting to
    true.

    Guenther Liebowitz, Aug 14, 2003
  9. B Wagner

    B Wagner Guest

    try switching the frammer setting to true.

    frammer? I'm reasonably new to .NET, and I'm not sure where that
    setting resides. Also, I've found a reasonable workaround, for the
    moment at least...

    After extensive searching and reading many a post, I guessed that I
    was having an internal DNS issue. I was intermittently able to ping my
    dev server by name, but my application failed on the first connection
    to the db...error message was "SQL Server does not exist or access is
    denied." When I changed the web.config file to have the connection
    string try the IP address rather than the named resource, the
    application ran as normal.

    What led me to this was reading posts about Event 1054, which was
    present in my Application Log every time I logged on to the network.

    Thanks for the help, all. Hope this info might help someone else.

    BW

    B Wagner, Aug 18, 2003