Here's one for you ASP.NET experts...REVISITED

B Wagner

This message was posted (not by me) in July and never saw any
original post (can also be seen here:
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=15)

Ever since I started working with .NET Framework 1.1, everytime I
start debugging my ASP.NET project when the browser launches I get the
following error. However, when I refresh, this immediately goes away
and doesn't come back until the next time I restart the app. Also,
another developer on another project gets the same behavior. I have
also noticed this in deployment - always happens the first time any
page in the project is opened after deployment and then never again.

Of course, there are NO errors in the web.config file, this is a
misleading error message. But why does this occur and how can we get
rid of it forever?

Server Error in '/tips' Application.

Configuration Error
configuration file required to service this request. Please review the
specific error details below and modify your configuration file
appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Exception in configuration section handler.

Source Error:

Line 24:
Line 25: <!-- if you get a configuration exception then make sure
the folder exists for the logs -->
Line 26: <system.diagnostics>
Line 27: <switches>
Line 28: <add name="PageEntryAndExit" value="4" /> <!--
Verbose=4 -->

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\tips\web.config Line: 26

Now, I also have an additional problem, and I'm unsure if it's
related, but I should mention it. My application is set up with a
splash screen and a redirect (via Javascript) to a login page.
Regardless of receiving the above error, my login page takes an
abnormally long time to load and is finally displayed as having no
source, not one line, not one HTML tag.

CONFIG:
WinXP Pro
..NET Framework 1.1
VS.NET 2003 (oooh, is that it?)

TIA for any help. I've tried many of the standard solutions, to no
avail.

BW

Ravikanth[MVP]

Hi

Are you running any Nortan Anti Virus programs on your
system?

Ravikanth[MVP]

Guenther Liebowitz

LOL

Ravikanth said:
Hi

Then, This problem is caused by Norton Anti-Virus.
Apparently it has a (new) feature which blocks script
access to files. Meaning, you can't read or write to
files.

There are several different solutions, ranging from
turning of the script blocking feature to completely
uninstalling Norton Anti-Virus.

Check out the following URLs for more information:
1.http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/aab56492973
adccd8825694500552355/fa999a879aac3b2f88256b450071c66e?
OpenDocument
2.
http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799adfa31
ecc85256aa30052f4d0/151ac4c8275f9a0888256a16006afce6?
OpenDocument

If you've followed the instructions on the above two
links and it still doesn't work, I suggest (if you don't
mind) completely uninstall Norton Anti-Virus and then
Check.

HTH
Ravikanth[MVP]

Brandon Wagner

At the moment, I have no anti-virus software running. I heard it might
be a problem, so I'm running without it for the moment. I've gone down
many "mebbe THIS'll work" paths, but none have provided me with enough
insight to pinpoint the problem.

I do have VS.NET 2002/VS.NET 2003 running concurrently (and so Framework
1.0/1.1), but that "shouldn't" be causing a problem...right? That's
where I cringe, though...I suspect some sort of versioning problem.

Guenther Liebowitz

OK so if you have stopped your virus software and you're sure you haven't
messed with the config files, then try switching the frammer setting to
true.

B Wagner

try switching the frammer setting to true.

frammer? I'm reasonably new to .NET, and I'm not sure where that
setting resides. Also, I've found a reasonable workaround, for the
moment at least...

After extensive searching and reading many a post, I guessed that I
was having an internal DNS issue. I was intermittently able to ping my
dev server by name, but my application failed on the first connection
to the db...error message was "SQL Server does not exist or access is
denied." When I changed the web.config file to have the connection
string try the IP address rather than the named resource, the
application ran as normal.

What led me to this was reading posts about Event 1054, which was
present in my Application Log every time I logged on to the network.

Thanks for the help, all. Hope this info might help someone else.

BW