Hi all!

Andy Lester

All americans must die

So true, my friend, yet does that not give our journey through this
life all the more value?

It's like Poison said back in the 80s: "Don't know what you've got
until it's gone."

You and Poison, great philosophers both.

xoxo,
Andy

matt

So must you - inevitably.

robert

Somewhere, isn't there a FAQ (or how about commonsense) that suggests
that responding to these types of emails only fuels the non-sense? How
about all those chains of emails that that are protesting against spam,
and how it MUST be eradicated. Well I hate to be the one to point it
out, but if its off-topic and not Rails related, ITS SPAM! I joined
this list for Rails. I expect a small amount of spam, but not
contributed by the Rails community.

I guess this officially makes me a spammer.

Andy Lester

Well I hate to be the one to point it
out, but if its off-topic and not Rails related, ITS SPAM! I joined
this list for Rails. I expect a small amount of spam, but not
contributed by the Rails community.

I think you're confusing Ruby and Rails.
I guess this officially makes me a spammer.

I guess the difference is treating the subject with humor vs. anger.

pat eyler

Somewhere, isn't there a FAQ (or how about commonsense) that suggests
that responding to these types of emails only fuels the non-sense? How
about all those chains of emails that that are protesting against spam,
and how it MUST be eradicated. Well I hate to be the one to point it
out, but if its off-topic and not Rails related, ITS SPAM! I joined
this list for Rails. I expect a small amount of spam, but not
contributed by the Rails community.

I guess this officially makes me a spammer.

and, off topic, since this is ruby-talk, not the rails-talk list. ;^)

Karl von Laudermann

matt said:
Well I hate to be the one to point it
out, but if its off-topic and not Rails related, ITS SPAM! I joined
this list for Rails. I expect a small amount of spam, but not
contributed by the Rails community.

I would then suggest that you are perhaps on the wrong list. This list
is for Ruby in general, not just Rails specifically. There is tons of
traffic that is not Rails related, but is certainly not spam. You
probably want the Rails list, which you can subscribe to here:

Andy Lester

The overall odds of dying are 1 in 1. That's an actual statistic.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Please read your
prospectus carefully before investing in this or any investment product.

James Britt

Tim said:
s/Poison/Joni Mitchell/g
s/80s/60s/g

Ah well, I sort of suspected that Poison was the Joni Mitchel of the '80s.

(Guilty pleasure:
Go to pandora.com
Create a radio station based on 'Slade' and 'Poison'
Write bouncy, catchy, rockin' Ruby code

)

matt

I would then suggest that you are perhaps on the wrong list. This list
is for Ruby in general, not just Rails specifically. There is tons of
traffic that is not Rails related, but is certainly not spam. You
probably want the Rails list, which you can subscribe to here:

Oh you guys are hilarious... How's that for humor?

Since we're all wasting each other's time... I guess I shouldn't feel
left out....

I mean... we all seem to be very well adept at building this bike
shed... but if we were talking rocket science or a nuclear reactor... it
would be a different story for sure...

Gregory Brown

Posted via forums.bring.out.ba.

<groans> I wish we'd avoid these darn forums. :-/

James Britt

Gregory said:
<groans> I wish we'd avoid these darn forums. :-/

forums.bring.out.the.worst

--
James Britt

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion
of knowledge."
- D. Boorstin

benjohn

Tim said:
Ah well, I sort of suspected that Poison was the Joni Mitchel of the
'80s.

(Guilty pleasure:
Go to pandora.com
Create a radio station based on 'Slade' and 'Poison'
Write bouncy, catchy, rockin' Ruby code
)

Oh yes - Pandora had to be fodder for the corp fire wall, but it's not! :)

Eivind Eklund

The overall odds of dying are 1 in 1. That's an actual statistic.

Actually, so far, it's about 0.92(+- 0.02) in 1. [1]

Eivind.

[1] When I checked, various estimates said between 6 and 10% of the
humans that have ever lived are alive now. These estimates were based
on different methods, sometimes radically different methods, and most
of them hit 7 or 8%, with some outliers.

benjohn

The overall odds of dying are 1 in 1. That's an actual statistic.

Actually, so far, it's about 0.92(+- 0.02) in 1. [1]

However, looking to the future, assuming we find a means to immortality
at some point, it's unlikely to be something we forget in a hurry, and
from that point on, neither Americans, nor anyone else will _need_ to
die. Thus all previous lives and deaths will eventually be swamped out,
so the probability will diminish to 0.

Predicting that event, I place the odds over all time at 0.

Benjohn

dblack

Hi --

Oh you guys are hilarious... How's that for humor?

Since we're all wasting each other's time... I guess I shouldn't feel
left out....

I mean... we all seem to be very well adept at building this bike
shed... but if we were talking rocket science or a nuclear reactor... it
would be a different story for sure...

No, I think those would be equally off-topic -- perhaps more :)

David

gregarican

Most of my coding work is done with gangsta rap playing. Kind of like
how Michael Bolton used to roll back in "Office Space." Although hair
metal could have its place as well.