Hi, Python v.s. C++, which is better?

Xiaobin Yang

I used to program in c++. But my supervisor suggests me to use python.

But, in python, there is no variable definition, codes seem loose. I don't
feel much control on programming in python.

Does any of you guys make comparison between these 2 language? which is
better? I mean, accuracy and maneuveraility.
Thanks!

-- Xiaobin

Dave Moore

Xiaobin Yang said:
I used to program in c++. But my supervisor suggests me to use python.

But, in python, there is no variable definition, codes seem loose. I don't
feel much control on programming in python.

Does any of you guys make comparison between these 2 language? which is
better? I mean, accuracy and maneuveraility.
Thanks!

First lets consider small jobs:

If performance (I am talking primarily about numerical performance here) is
an issue, and you want to have detailed control at an intermediate to low
level, stick with C++.

Otherwise python is generally much more forgiving and intuitive for small
jobs. Dealing with user input and output is also much easier IMO ... I have
started trying to write my user interfaces using python for this reason. I
still do the bulk of the real work in C++ though.

For large jobs:

I have no experience using python for large jobs, but my intuition is that
it will be increasingly difficult as the size of the project progresses.
There may be tricks and techniques to help deal with such issues that I am
not familiar with, since I am not that experienced with python.
Nonetheless, I think the greater flexibility and power of C++ will win out
in the end for large jobs.

Hope this helps,

Dave Moore

Victor Bazarov

Xiaobin said:
[...]
Does any of you guys make comparison between these 2 language?

No. Please don't ask questions to which there can be no answers.

Mike Wahler

Xiaobin Yang said:
I used to program in c++. But my supervisor suggests me to use python.

Well, I recommend doing what you're paid to do.
But, in python, there is no variable definition, codes seem loose. I don't
feel much control on programming in python.

Do you control the choice of tools you use? If you
do, I recommend using those which you've determined
are best for the job at hand, and feel you're
competent with. I think one of the biggest errors
made by some programmers (and especially managers)
is trying to select a single tool for all tasks.
Does any of you guys make comparison between these 2 language?

Some of us probably do, but not here. Here (comp.lang.c++),
the 'best' language is always C++, because here, it's the
*only* language.
which is
better? I mean, accuracy and maneuveraility.

Evaluate each in light of your own circumstances. If you
want to discuss language comparisons on Usenet, find
newsgroup(s) where such discussions are topical.

-Mike

GTO

C++ is better. There is no doubt. - C++ is life! It's beauty! It's elegance
and performance! It's a must for every decent engineer! It's mandatory
knowledge of the truly civilized word! .... Did I forgot something?

Gregor

James Aguilar

GTO said:
C++ is better. There is no doubt. - C++ is life! It's beauty! It's
elegance and performance! It's a must for every decent engineer! It's
mandatory knowledge of the truly civilized word! .... Did I forgot
something?

Gregor

You forgot to not reply. =P

- JFA1

Karl Heinz Buchegger

GTO said:
C++ is better. There is no doubt. - C++ is life! It's beauty! It's elegance
and performance! It's a must for every decent engineer! It's mandatory
knowledge of the truly civilized word! .... Did I forgot something?

.... it can cook coffee.
Oh and yes, when programming in C++, sex gets better :)