Hiding ASP source code from EVERYONE!!!

george

I am looking for solutions that would hide my source code from
everyone, users and administrators.

The reason being I have written an ASP application that I want to sell
on to other companies. This ASP application works in conjunction with
an existing C++ application(s) that clients already have. My clients
are technically savvy, and if they can access the ASP code and tweak it
(BREAK IT!!!) they probably will. Offering support and customizations
to my clients would then become a nightmare, as won't know what
changes they have made.

As my clients are technically savvy, I've ruled out Microsoft Script
Encoder, as they would easily find a Decode from the internet, and all
my efforts would have gone to waste.

I've heard of a technique of packaging the ASP code into a COM
object, but don't know quite how o accomplish this? I'm to even
sure if this is a good idea anyway? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Kyle Peterson

start using code behind ASP.NET and obfusicate the source code in the
dlls...or dont bother pursuing this

The only way they arent going to be messing with the code in classic asp is
if you put everything in dlls.. and that means everyone that installs it
will need the dlls registered on the server... meaning they will most likely
need teir own servers as hosting companies wont do that for them

not to mentions all of that will be a total pain in the ass as far as
development goes

Jeff Cochran

I am looking for solutions that would hide my source code from
everyone, users and administrators.

Save it to a cd, then delete it from every server or system you can
find. Put the CD in a one gallon pickle jar and bury it under your
back porch.

You can't hide ASP source. You can package it in a COM file or change
it to a compiled langauge. Normally you would put the business logic
in the COM file and call it from your ASP code.

Since your desire is a commercial product, handle this the same way
other companies do. With a strong licensing agreement.

Jeff

Phill. W

My clients are technically savvy, and if they can access the ASP
code and tweak it (BREAK IT!!!) they probably will.

This is /not/ a Technical issue. It's verging on a Legal one.
You should have an "agreement" with your clients telling them
what they can and cannot do with the "Software" that you provide
them. This should include clauses to prevent them doing exactly
what you're suggesting ("no modifying, reverse-engineering, etc., etc.").

Tell them that if they change so much as a /line/ of your code, either
(a) You'll /refuse/ to support them at all - no changes, no updates,
nada, zip - and if the C++ bit of the application changes and their
"hacked" ASP's no longer work - tough!, or
(b) You'll /continue/ to support them but at a /massively/ increased
rate of renumeration to compensate you for your having to get
/your/ head around /their/ changes.

(Write yourself a little utility program (that /you/ keep) that reads
the timestamps, sizes and, perhaps, a checksum of each ASP).

Regards,
Phill W.

Bullschmidt

This can help a little by removing comments and making all lines of code
start at the far left.

PCbit
http://www.pcbit.com
Advanced HTML Optimizer
Can remove white space in HTML and ASP files.
Can do more optimizing if one wanted too.

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com