Hiding ASP source code from EVERYONE!!!

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by george, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. george

    george Guest

    I am looking for solutions that would hide my source code from
    everyone, users and administrators.

    The reason being I have written an ASP application that I want to sell
    on to other companies. This ASP application works in conjunction with
    an existing C++ application(s) that clients already have. My clients
    are technically savvy, and if they can access the ASP code and tweak it
    (BREAK IT!!!) they probably will. Offering support and customizations
    to my clients would then become a nightmare, as won't know what
    changes they have made.

    As my clients are technically savvy, I've ruled out Microsoft Script
    Encoder, as they would easily find a Decode from the internet, and all
    my efforts would have gone to waste.

    I've heard of a technique of packaging the ASP code into a COM
    object, but don't know quite how o accomplish this? I'm to even
    sure if this is a good idea anyway? Any suggestions?

    Thanks!!!

    george, Apr 25, 2005

  2. george

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Mark Schupp, Apr 25, 2005

  3. start using code behind ASP.NET and obfusicate the source code in the
    dlls...or dont bother pursuing this

    The only way they arent going to be messing with the code in classic asp is
    if you put everything in dlls.. and that means everyone that installs it
    will need the dlls registered on the server... meaning they will most likely
    need teir own servers as hosting companies wont do that for them

    not to mentions all of that will be a total pain in the ass as far as
    development goes

    Kyle Peterson, Apr 25, 2005
  4. george

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    Save it to a cd, then delete it from every server or system you can
    find. Put the CD in a one gallon pickle jar and bury it under your
    back porch.

    You can't hide ASP source. You can package it in a COM file or change
    it to a compiled langauge. Normally you would put the business logic
    in the COM file and call it from your ASP code.

    Since your desire is a commercial product, handle this the same way
    other companies do. With a strong licensing agreement.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Apr 25, 2005
  5. george

    Phill. W Guest

    This is /not/ a Technical issue. It's verging on a Legal one.
    You should have an "agreement" with your clients telling them
    what they can and cannot do with the "Software" that you provide
    them. This should include clauses to prevent them doing exactly
    what you're suggesting ("no modifying, reverse-engineering, etc., etc.").

    Tell them that if they change so much as a /line/ of your code, either
    (a) You'll /refuse/ to support them at all - no changes, no updates,
    nada, zip - and if the C++ bit of the application changes and their
    "hacked" ASP's no longer work - tough!, or
    (b) You'll /continue/ to support them but at a /massively/ increased
    rate of renumeration to compensate you for your having to get
    /your/ head around /their/ changes.

    (Write yourself a little utility program (that /you/ keep) that reads
    the timestamps, sizes and, perhaps, a checksum of each ASP).

    Regards,
    Phill W.

    Phill. W, Apr 26, 2005
  6. george

    Bullschmidt Guest

    This can help a little by removing comments and making all lines of code
    start at the far left.

    PCbit
    http://www.pcbit.com
    Advanced HTML Optimizer
    Can remove white space in HTML and ASP files.
    Can do more optimizing if one wanted too.

    Best regards,
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com

    Bullschmidt, Apr 26, 2005