Hiding the page's URL and source code?

mike

Can someone please tell me how i can create a page so that it will open in
another window and the address bar will not show...and they cannot
right-click on it... Im trying to keep this page's url hidden so that it
isnt hotlinked... An example of a good job of hiding the URL that i can see
is at this site -
http://www.lighthouseweather.com/home.asp
the drop down scroll menu from the "Lightning" link....click on "Static
Trac"... I tried everything to try to find out that page's url and
couldnt... im sure you wiz kids could figure it out.... But most normal
people couldnt.. If you guys could tell me how to get my page like that it
would be much appreciated..

Also, im thinking about doing it without the pop-up too... if there is a way
to conceal it that way also...i am willing to go without the popup...

thanks alot
mike

Neal

[...]

http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm

rf

mike said:
Can someone please tell me how i can create a page so that it will open in
another window and the address bar will not show...and they cannot
right-click on it... Im trying to keep this page's url hidden so that it
isnt hotlinked...

A complete waste of time. Don't even bother.
An example of a good job of hiding the URL that i can see
is at this site -
http://www.lighthouseweather.com/home.asp
the drop down scroll menu from the "Lightning" link....click on "Static
Trac"... I tried everything to try to find out that page's url and
couldnt...

No, this is not a good example at all.

Using IE, navigate to the page and then press Ctrl N. This opens a new
window with all the chrome back, inluding the address bar. The URL is
http://www.lighthouseweather.com/staticlightning.htm

See, one keyboard gesture :)
Also, im thinking about doing it without the pop-up too... if there is a way
to conceal it that way also...i am willing to go without the popup...

No, you cannot change my existing browser window.

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

Can someone please tell me how i can create a page so that it will open in
another window and the address bar will not show

No. First, if I want a new window opened, I'll do it myself. Second,
there is no way you can stop the address bar from showing on my browser.
The only way to stop the address from changing when a new page loads is
by using frames, it's still easy to find the page address, and it causes
lots of other problems anyway.
...and they cannot right-click on it...

Can in my browser.
Im trying to keep this page's url hidden so that it isnt hotlinked...

?? You don't want people linking to your page? Why on earth not? What if
I find it and want to bookmark it so I can look at it later? Or send the
link to someone else?

If by hotlinking you mean them linking to it in frames on their own site
or something that's a different matter, and trying to hide the URL isn't
the solution.
An example of a good job of hiding the URL that i can see
is at this site -
http://www.lighthouseweather.com/home.asp

'Nuff said.
the drop down scroll menu from the "Lightning" link....click on "Static
Trac"...

What drop down scroll menu? Oh, it only works in IE.
I tried everything to try to find out that page's url and
http://www.lighthouseweather.com/staticlightning.htm

couldnt...

Press F11.
im sure you wiz kids could figure it out.... But most normal
people couldnt..

That doesn't change the fact that there is no reason to stop them in the
first place.
If you guys could tell me how to get my page like that it
would be much appreciated..

You don't want to make your page like that.
Also, im thinking about doing it without the pop-up too... if there is a way
to conceal it that way also...i am willing to go without the popup...

Very generous of you.

Stop wanting it in the first place. What is it you are really trying to
achieve?

Disco Octopus

Mark said:
?? You don't want people linking to your page? Why on earth not?

There are reasons I can think of.

OP. why not put something in you .htaccess file (if exists) that will reject
referers other than you own site?

Kurt Weber

<SNIP>

I come back after about three years and lurk for five weeks. Just when I
think people have finally gotten over this nonsense, here it is again!

Mark Parnell

I come back after about three years and lurk for five weeks. Just when I
think people have finally gotten over this nonsense, here it is again!

It's always the same. Nothing ever changes. Ho hum.

Whitecrest

mike111111_ said:
Can someone please tell me how i can create a page so that it will open in
another window and the address bar will not show...and they cannot
right-click on it...

The people you WANT to hide it from, can all see it. The people that
you actually COULD hide it from, don't care about your code (most don't
even know you can see the code if you wanted to.)

It is a complete waste of time for you. But if you must, search google
for "javascript and right click" You will be rewarded with tons of
variations. For a popup search google for "popup window generator" You
will be rewarded with a ton of pages that show you exactly how to
control a popup window.

rf

But if you must, search google
for "javascript and right click"

Oh, my. Please don't suggest this, even in jest. Some day some newbie will
find your post in the archive and think that no right click scripts are a
good thing.

Cheers
Richard.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

mike said:
[...]

well I visited that page, couldn't read the text so increased the size
twice. Then I couldn't find your link. As it turns out after much
searching it was because the page is very badly designed and increasing
the size meant that the link "moved" and was black, on a black background.

When I clicked it, it opened up a new window to this URL:

http://www.lighthouseweather.com/tracreport.txt

that was in my address bar.

So if you want to do that: