Hierarchy in Schematic-VHDL Design

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by ALuPin, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. ALuPin

    ALuPin Guest

    Hi,

    in QuartusII v4.2 SP1
    I have the following problem:

    My top level file is a schematic file called
    "H_top.bdf"

    In this top level file I have several symbols, for example
    "cache_search.bsf".

    The component cache_search is also a schematic file from which
    I created a .vhd file in Quartus
    so that I have one "cache_search.bdf" and one "cache_search.vhd"
    which are of course identical.

    Now in my top level file I include under PROJECT --> ADD/REMOVE FILES
    IN PROJECT the file "H_top.bdf"
    Under USER LIBRARIES I include the directory in which the
    "cache_search.bdf"
    and "cache_search.vhd" are included.

    When I click on the symbol "cache_search.bsf" in the top level
    schematic "H_top.bdf" file
    the "cache_search.vhd" is opened.
    I would like to choose whether to look at the "cache_search.vhd" or
    the
    "cache_search.bdf" ...

    How can I do that ?

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Rgds
    André

    ALuPin, Apr 1, 2005

  2. When you diuble click on a symbol in the bdf the behavior is to open the
    design file that was used as part of the compilation. In this case it was
    the file with the vhd extension (as a vhd extension has a higher priority
    than a bdf extension). If you want to open the bdf instead do a File Open,
    traverse to the directory which has te bdf file and open it.

    If you want the bdf file to be used for compilation, add the bdf file
    explicitly to the file list.

    Hope this helps,
    Subroto Datta
    Altera Corp.