    any preferences or dislikes? Is there a better image viewer js out there?

    Thanks,
    MC

    MC, Apr 18, 2009

  2. MC

    David Mark Guest

    AFAIK, "Lightbox" has become a generic term (like Kleenex.)

    There's no need to compare any of the silly scripts that purport to
    center images in just over 50K. You won't "spruce up" anything with
    those (you will almost certainly degrade otherwise usable documents.)

    David Mark, Apr 18, 2009

  3. MC

    MC Guest

    AFAIK, "Lightbox" has become a generic term (like Kleenex.)

    There's no need to compare any of the silly scripts that purport to
    center images in just over 50K. You won't "spruce up" anything with
    those (you will almost certainly degrade otherwise usable documents.)

    David,
    Your comments don't really help. I asked for a comparison and you dissed
    them both (without really explaing why). If you want to help, please explain
    your comment and if there is a better alternative. Lightbox and Highslide
    are already better than what we have now.
    MC

    MC, Apr 18, 2009
  4. MC

    David Mark Guest

    [snip]
    This is a newsgroup and you did not quote properly. See the FAQ.
    Do you find them unhelpful?
    This is not a help desk.
    What do you have now and what makes you think some fantasy script is
    going to make a better alternative?

    David Mark, Apr 18, 2009
  5. MC

    MC Guest

    Well if you just want to be a troll then just piss off...you must be one of
    pointy ears minions.

    MC, Apr 18, 2009
  6. MC

    David Mark Guest

    So rather than quote properly, you abstained altogether. Rather than
    answering my question, you skulked off.

    And your parting shot at Thomas seems out of left field. Have you
    done this before?

    I wish you the very best of luck in destroying your gallery. Er,
    sprucing it up.

    HTH :)

    David Mark, Apr 18, 2009
  7. And again my killfile rule worked as expected (`[' should not be
    part of the From name and MUST NOT be part of the From address.)

    If only nobody would quote those idiots, too ;-)

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 18, 2009
  8. MC

    David Mark Guest

    Oh well, one more twit demanding an instantaneous magical solution to
    a vaguely expressed dilemma, scuttling off to escape unhelpful
    "trolls." They'll likely end up in fantasy land where a fellow loser
    will advocate whatever uses jQuery.

    David Mark, Apr 18, 2009
  9. MC

    MC Guest

    Maybe you two trolls should trot off under the bridge...you seem to be in
    love.

    Please leave the people on the bridge alone.

    MC, Apr 18, 2009
  10. MC

    David Mark Guest

    Jump!

    David Mark, Apr 18, 2009
  11. MC

    webmaster Guest

    Hi MC,
    I prefer Lightbox JS although its inconvenience is the need of using
    either Prototype or JQuery libraries. So I developed my own Javascript
    code emulating the LightBox model. Take a look at:
    http://www.jrfaq.com.br/lightbox.htm

    Cheers,
    Joao Rodrigues (JR)

    webmaster, Apr 18, 2009
  12. MC

    MC Guest

    Joao,
    Muinta bom photo! Eu amo Rio! I have taken this exact photo myself and one
    of the bay from the opposite side on Pao? Sugarloaf? mountain.

    I will take a look at your code. I am not crazy about including Prototype or
    JQuery either. I dislike bloated libraries.

    Ciao,
    MC
    PS. I should be back in Rio in June as I have family there. I really miss
    it. Do you have Orkut?

    MC, Apr 19, 2009
  13. MC

    David Mark Guest

    Yes, that is a decided inconvenience. Take the story of "Pink Pig":

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...376a2bad455/59b908cc8f7aa5e3#59b908cc8f7aa5e3

    Was sure that his/her problem was related to the "strangeness" of
    Javascript, evidenced by this quote:

    "I do not look down my nose at people who are trying to clean up the
    mess created by the designers of JS -- I wish them well."

    Fast forward nine months:

    http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-dev/browse_thread/thread/4cb0a86f563ca0cf

    But I digress.
    I've got to wonder why you think you need a "LightBox", but at least
    you tried. Unfortunately:

    /*
    This code creates some layers (overlay, lightbox, etc.) to show an
    image,
    while fading the document viewport.

    Code was built upon Lightbox JS, with many modifications by
    Joao Rodrigues for www.jrfaq.com.br - Jan2009.
    $version 0.3 - 2009-03-30

    Inspired by the work of John Resig (jspro.org/files/code/09.zip),
    Peter-Paul Koch (quirksmode.org) and Lokesh Dhakar, creator of
    Lightbox JS: Fullsize Image Overlays
    - http://huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox

    Three blind mice.

    Dependencies: lightbox.css; ajax_circle1.gif; and close_20x20.gif

    */
    function jrLightBoxObj() {
    this.init();
    }

    Your list of original inspirations left out Sam Stephenson. Resig is
    tantamount to Shemp.

    jrLightBoxObj.prototype = {

    [snip]

    Sorry, no time. Just use HTML, at least until you learn the basics of
    browser scripting (and you cannot learn these basics from Resig and
    PPK.)

    David Mark, Apr 19, 2009
  14. MC

    JR Guest

    Hi David,
    Ha ha ha! I was sure you would condemn the praise to John Resig and
    PPK in the code comments.

    I'm afraid someday you will materialize your hatred in a massacre
    during a JQuery Group's meeting (just kidding).

    Man, have a beer, turn a cool music on and chill out!

    A big hug,
    João Rodrigues

    JR, Apr 19, 2009
  15. MC

    David Mark Guest

    I saw no praise. The implication that those stooges inspired your
    code is not exactly flattery.
    Hatred? I "hate" dandelions in my lawn in the same way. What has
    materialized is that they had a meeting a year back that went
    something like:

    "Guys, you know all of that furious twiddling with UA detection that
    we've been keeping up for the last few years? It was all a complete
    waste of time. Turns out we *were* full of shit. Yeah, I know. The
    plan is to re-invent jQuery's browser detection using object
    inferences, adding random changes to everything else and releasing
    just prior to IE8. Just act natural and it will look like Microsoft
    ruined everything."

    [snip]

    David Mark, Apr 19, 2009
  16. MC

    jgrsouza Guest

    Buona sera, MC.
    Obrigado (Thanks) for the kind words. I've been to Rome in 2007 and,
    in general, I love Italy a lot, although not being able to speak
    Italian. Our languages have a common origin (Latin), as you know, but
    are very different nowadays.

    I don't use Orkut very often, but here it goes:
    http://www.orkut.com.br/Main#Profile.aspx?uid=9385257963652278973

    User: Joao Rodrigues

    Um grande abraço,
    Joao

    jgrsouza, Apr 19, 2009
  17. MC

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Gnarlodious, Apr 19, 2009
  18. MC

    RobG Guest

    You may get answers from a jQuery or Prototype.js group. I dislike the
    "lightbox" effect - it is slow and annoying, so I don't use it, nor do
    I frequent sites that use similar effects.

    If you want to link to a bigger image, do it. Let users open it in a
    different tab or window if they want and save yourself a lot of grief
    trying to support different browsers and annoying visitors.

    RobG, Apr 19, 2009
  19. MC

    Gnarlodious Guest

    As a user, I completely agree. However as a webmaster I was forced to
    make the page harder to use. Each page load was hitting me with 10MB,
    and the page was getting tremendously popular. Not wanting to go into
    bandwidth overtime, I had to put obstacles in the way of viewing the
    high-quality photos. So the modal window is all about forcing the user
    to work, and therefore reducing the bandwidth.

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious, Apr 19, 2009
  20. For this you let the user download 13 KiB more than they would have had to
    download if you had not "put the obstacle in the way". Every time the
    document is loaded and the script is not cached.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 19, 2009