How can I use a dynamic IP address for a domain name?

dgk

Not a dotnet question yet, although the site will be dotnet.

Anyway, I have a cable modem and dynamic (although pretty static) IP
address. How can I use a domain name if the real ip can change? I see
things like NO-IP.com which seems to offer this service for free. Is
this the recommended approach?

Alan Z. Scharf

Do a google search on dynamic IP or DNS providers..

I used free ZoneEdit.com for this. You can download software that sends new
IP to DNS provider when it changes.

NOTE: You need to find out if your ISP blocks port 80. In my case, I have
to pay RCN $20 extra per month for static IP with open Port 80.

Some providers keep Port 80 blocked with no other options available.

Alan

dgk

Do a google search on dynamic IP or DNS providers..

I used free ZoneEdit.com for this. You can download software that sends new
IP to DNS provider when it changes.

NOTE: You need to find out if your ISP blocks port 80. In my case, I have
to pay RCN $20 extra per month for static IP with open Port 80.

Some providers keep Port 80 blocked with no other options available.

Alan

Thanks, I'm looking at ZoneEdit. I use roadrunner and I'm sure they
don't block 80 because I can get into my PC now by using the dynamic
IP. I had to forward it through the Linksys though.

ZE looks at lot more confusing than No-IP.com, which claims that you
don't even need a domain name. I'm not sure how they do that.

Well, more research is required. Thanks.

Joined
Apr 2, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
You want know your ip address..You give the domain name here whoisxy.com It provides at free of cost...