    pronunciation option is 'tuhple', so I wasn't sure. Maybe it's both, but
    which is most prevalent?

    Thanks! Now time to go back to reading the chapter on tuples...

    John Salerno, Feb 13, 2006

  2. John Salerno

    Steve Holden Guest

    Silly you!
    No suffix involved, tuples have a respectable mathematical history going
    back centuries.
    "Tyoople", "toople" or "tupple" depending on who you are, where you grew
    up and who you are speaking to. As with so many Usenet questions,
    there's no right answer, only 314 wrong ones :)

    I teach on both sides of the Atlantic, and have learned to draw a mental
    breath before trying to pronounce the word "router". Americans find the
    British pronunciation ("rooter") hilarious, despite the fact they tell
    me I drive on "Root 66" to get to DC. The Brits are politer, and only
    snigger behind my back when I pronounce it as Americans do, to rhyme
    with "outer".

    except-that-there's-no-"t"-in-American-ly y'rs - steve

    Steve Holden, Feb 13, 2006

  3. In my expereince, the latter. I don't think I've ever heard
    the other pronounciation.

    Grant Edwards, Feb 13, 2006
  4. I'm not sure, but I think it is pronounced "ménage à trois".

    M.

    ;-)

    Markus Wankus, Feb 13, 2006
  5. I believe both is right. Those who come from a pure mathematics
    background are more likely to pronounce it _toople_. Those who have
    encountered it in the wild are more likely to pronounce it _tuhple_. I
    had enough of an understanding of mathematics to recognize where it came
    from when I encountered it in Python, but I pronounce it the latter way.

    Even in mathematics, a tuple, or formally an n-tuple, makes more sense
    to me pronounced the latter if you list out the various pronounciations
    for large n, seems me the _uhs_ outweigh the _oos_. (There's quadruple
    on one side, but then quintuple, sextuple, septuple, heptuple, octuple,
    etc., etc., etc.)

    Erik Max Francis, Feb 13, 2006
  6. John Salerno

    nnorwitz Guest

    I used to pronounce it toople. But the people that taught me Python
    found it both comical and confusing. At first they thought I meant a 2
    element tuple. So they wondered if a 3 element tuple was a threeple,
    etc. After much harrassing, I changed my wayward ways and pronounced
    it tuhple to fit in with the cool Python guys. ;-)

    Then we went to hear Guido speak about Python 2.2 at a ZPUG meeting in
    Washington, DC. When he said toople I almost fell out of my chair
    laughing, particularly because the people who taught me to say it the
    "right" way were with me. When I looked over, they just hung their
    head in shame.

    I work with Guido now and I'm conflicted. I'm still conditioned to say
    tuhple. Whenever he says toople, I just get a smile on my face. I
    think most of the PythonLabs guys pronounce it toople.

    nnorwitz, Feb 13, 2006
  7. John Salerno

    sjdevnull Guest

    I went to university in Pittsburgh and work in Washington, DC. I've
    only ever heard it as toople.

    If I heard someone say tuhple, I'd probably thing of Iago's words to
    Desdemona's father along the lines of "that ram is tupping your ewe".
    But I'm easily amused by alternate pronunciations.

    sjdevnull, Feb 13, 2006
  8. Strange... I never knew Route 66 got that far east... As I recall,
    it runs (ran) from ~Los Angeles across the southwest before making an
    upward turn through Missouri (where it passed just outside of Ft.
    Leonard Wood) and there from meandered through St. Louis and up toward
    Chicago...

    Then again, from the "new world" perspective... A "route" is a fixed
    path between points... A "router" is something that dynamically
    determines paths -- so it may be seen as a different derivation...

    {Or as I learned on my previous department: A pub's a bar, a bar's a
    gate, a gate's a street}

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Feb 13, 2006
  9. John Salerno

    Steve Holden Guest

    The Route 66 that runs past Manassas and into DC appears to be a
    completely different Interstate from the one made famous by the Chuck
    Berry song, and I was really confused by it when I moved to the DC Metro
    area.
    :)

    regards
    Steve

    Steve Holden, Feb 13, 2006
  10. John Salerno

    Ben Wilson Guest

    Yeah, I was going to say it's "I-66," not "Route 66," which has been
    replaced in pertainent parts by I-40.

    tuh-ple.

    Ben Wilson, Feb 13, 2006
  11. John Salerno

    Roy Smith Guest

    It took me a while to get used to that too, but honestly, the warm beer was
    much more difficult to deal with. It's supposed to be cold on the way in
    and warm on the way out.

    My other problem is that I'm into woodworking as well as computers. When
    I'm mindlessly browsing news and see an article headline that says
    something like "router bits", I often have to stop and think about in which
    context I'm supposed to interpret that (a router is a woodworking tool,
    into which you can fit a variety of cutting bits).

    Roy Smith, Feb 13, 2006
  12. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    LOL. You guys are hilarious. I think I made the right decision to start
    learning Python! :)

    John Salerno, Feb 13, 2006
  13. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    That's kind of the ironic thing. When I first saw the word, I thought
    maybe it was a Python-specific term (even something from a Monty Python
    skit, even!). My default pronunciation actually was 'toople', but then I
    looked it up to be sure and saw that it comes from words like quadruple,
    quintuple, etc. Well, even then, I was pronouncing those words in my
    head as 'quintoople', 'sextoople', etc., so that didn't really clarify
    it for me! But I think 'quintuple' is probably the more popular choice,
    which makes 'tuple' sound more correct, so to speak.

    I still have a warm spot for 'toople', though, since that's what I
    called it first, but somehow 'tuple' seems less silly (and less like
    tupping!) :)

    John Salerno, Feb 13, 2006
  14. Of course! What did you expect from devotees of a language
    named after one of the greatest comedy shows in TV history?

    Grant Edwards, Feb 13, 2006
  15. John Salerno

    Steve Holden Guest

    No, no, no. The correct pronunciation is "tyoople" (or, if you're being
    lazy, "choople"). Anything else is wrong, but we English are usually
    prepared to forgive foreigners their ignorance :)

    [If I pronounced as badly as I type nobody would ever know what I was
    saying].

    not-that-we're-arrogant-or-anything-ly y'rs - steve

    Steve Holden, Feb 13, 2006
  16. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Well, I hope this doesn't make me lose credibility, but I've actually
    never seen the show! I saw Holy Grail several years ago, though. But I'm
    very curious about this whole cheese shop skit, so when I get home
    tonight I'm going to download it. :)

    John Salerno, Feb 13, 2006
  17. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    ::eyes the Brits suspiciously::

    And I thought there were only choo ways to pronounce it...turns out
    there are free.

    John Salerno, Feb 13, 2006
  18. IMO, it's not as good as the dead-parrot skit, but it's still a
    classic.

    Grant Edwards, Feb 13, 2006
  19. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Ah, now that one I have seen, and it is great! There's an episode of SNL
    where they sort of randomly show that skit, which is a little bizarre in
    itself. :)

    John Salerno, Feb 13, 2006
  20. I just checked my English dictionary, and for, say, "quintuple", it
    suggests ['kwintjupl] pronunciation. I didn't check it before, but I
    tend to pronounce tuple as [tjupl] indeed (in fact Russians would say it's
    closer to [chjupl]).

    -- Sergei.

    Sergei Organov, Feb 13, 2006