How does Hotmail login redirect to SSL automatically and then back?

Jacob

I would like to provide a login feature on my website that uses HTTPS/SSL.
I've gotten all the certificates and have successfully done logins when the
login page is secure. But I would prefer to have the login page load in HTTP
and then much like Hotmail does (if you look carefully) it redirects to an
HTTPS link to authenticate and once successful, back to a standard HTTP link
so that not every page has to be encrypted.

My question is about the redirect.... How do I get that to work so that I'm
not sending passwords in plain text to the HTTP page and then to the HTTPS
page? In other words, how do I direct the client's browser to the HTTPS page
when the login information is submitted?

Thanks,
Jacob