How does XML / forms compare with PHP and java ?

vfunc

I am a bit confused about XML forms, is this similar to web programming
languages like PHP and java ? In particular do you use a compiler or
special server to view these XML forms pages and can you program an
interface with these or is it just a format, if it is what popular
systems integrate them into the developement ?

Martin Honnen

I am a bit confused about XML forms, is this similar to web programming
languages like PHP and java ? In particular do you use a compiler or
special server to view these XML forms pages and can you program an
interface with these or is it just a format, if it is what popular
systems integrate them into the developement ?

It is not clear what your question refers to.
There is XForms 1.0, a W3C recommendation
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/>
that is introduced as
"XForms is an XML application that represents the next generation of
forms for the Web. By splitting traditional XHTML forms into three
parts—XForms model, instance data, and user interface—it separates
presentation from content, allows reuse, gives strong typing—reducing
the number of round-trips to the server, as well as offering device
independence and a reduced need for scripting.

XForms is not a free-standing document type, but is intended to be
integrated into other markup languages, such as XHTML or SVG."

So part of an XHTML document could be XForms elements and attributes and
a browser supporting XForms would then render those forms, the user
could enter data and that data would be submitted to a server where PHP
or Java could process it.

Andy Dingley

I am a bit confused about XML forms, is this similar to web programming
languages like PHP and java ?

No, not at all.

XForms may be used from within PHP or Java, but it can't be used in
isolation (for useful work). It's not a programming language as such,
it's a language for defining interfaces. Other bits of programming than
hang onto these interfaces.

If you must compare XForms to somthing, it's an interesting question to
ask how it fits in with AJAX. Even these aren't directly comparable,
but they're both fighting for a portion of the same developing market.

vfunc

So out of these what is the preferred method of web development with a
slant towards Linux.

Joe Kesselman

So out of these what is the preferred method of web development with a
slant towards Linux.

Both XForms and AJAX are new enough approaches that there isn't a single
clear "preferred method". IBM seems to be pushing AJAX this week, for
whatever that's worth. I suspect the answer will wind up being some
synthesis of these and others...

Operating system makes very little difference to web development decisions.

vfunc

OK, fine, OS does not make a big difference to the end users (at least
it should not make much difference),
but developers have to use one operating system over an another. Alot
of these free tools are a bit flaky on windows so I'd rather use
another platform if I'm going to use something generic.

Joe Kesselman

Alot of these free tools are a bit flaky on windows so I'd rather use
another platform if I'm going to use something generic.

I'm no Windows fan. But I run both Windows and Linux, and I haven't
found Windows versions of XML tools to be flakier than Linux versions.

Admittedly I'm mostly working in Java, which provides a layer of
insulation between app and opsys.

vfunc

My comment was misplaced (group), I was thinking of mysql on windows,
it seems to get attacked.

vfunc

If I am familliar with C++ it would seem to make more sense to use java
rather than php, either way it is the XML style scripting that is going
to be part to learn.

Andy Dingley

So out of these what is the preferred method of web development with a
slant towards Linux.

That's iompossible to answer, without knowing what the problem is, how
big a solution you need, where you're hosting it, and what your
existing skillset it.

Personally I'd avoid PHP like the plague. Java is the best choice
(IMHO) for the really high-end of things, but Ruby on Rails is tempting
for the smaller scale. PHP is an ugly language and only worth
considering if you don't need much, you don't need quality, and you do
need really cheap hosting that doesn't support better platforms.

I like AJAX for complex UI features, because of the async nature of it.
This is a valuable enhancement if you have complex navigation features
needed. It's also now an almost mature platform, with lots of
frameworks for it. Google's is pretty good, for an obvious candidate.

XForms shows huge promise, but I don't think it's tempting just yet.

Peter Flynn

Andy Dingley said:
That's iompossible to answer, without knowing what the problem is, how
big a solution you need, where you're hosting it, and what your
existing skillset it.

Personally I'd avoid PHP like the plague. Java is the best choice
(IMHO) for the really high-end of things, but Ruby on Rails is tempting
for the smaller scale. PHP is an ugly language and only worth
considering if you don't need much, you don't need quality, and you do
need really cheap hosting that doesn't support better platforms.

The Cocoon forms framework is also worth looking at if you want to
avoid reinventing too many Java wheels.

///Peter

vfunc

OK, AJAX sounds promising, but I don't know java or XML for that
matter, although I've looked at intros to both in the past, I am OK
with C++ though so most of the OO concepts will be familliar to me.
What / where is a good start ?