How to force the child controls OnClick event before the parent controls CreateChildControls method

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Arulraja, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Arulraja

    Arulraja Guest

    Hello,

    I have created 2 custom server controls, The parent custom control
    contains multiple child custom controls. The Child control has a
    button on it.
    If I Click the button control, it calls the Parent controls
    CreateChildControls() method before calling the child control's button
    click event.

    Because of this behaviour, I am not getting the changes I made in the
    child controls button click event.

    I think I am doing something wrong with the event handling?

    Can somebody point to the right way of ahndling the child controls
    Events?

    Thanks
    Sam

    Arulraja, Oct 16, 2003

  2. The CreateChildControls method must be called before the child's event is
    "called", otherwise there will be no control to raise the event
    notification.

    Are you wanting to bubble the event up to the consumer?

    Are you just wanted to handle the event from the control only?

    bill

    William F. Robertson, Jr., Oct 16, 2003

  3. Arulraja

    Arulraja Guest

    Hi Bill,

    Thanks for the response. Actually I want to handle the event from the
    control.
    During that process I validate the user entered values, after that I
    want to render the changes to the page.(That is calling the
    CreateChildControls method).

    But, right now the CreateChildControls method gets fired before the
    OnClick event so I am not able to force the CreateChildControls
    method after the onClick event.

    Is there anyway I can force the CreateChildControls method call after
    the onClick event.

    Thanks for your help. Really appreciate that.

    -Sam

    Arulraja, Oct 17, 2003
  4. I might not be speaking in complete truths here, but if you call
    Controls.Clear, and then set the ChildControlsCreated to false.

    But from what I understand you want to do, you should just call the
    CreateChildControls() explicitly from the event and the controls will be
    recreated.

    On the second call the CreateChildControls, make sure you call
    Controls.Clear().

    bill

    William F. Robertson, Jr., Oct 17, 2003